Ode to Florida's Summer | Teen Ink

Ode to Florida's Summer

August 17, 2014
By Becca_Leigh62442 GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida
Becca_Leigh62442 GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida
13 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Tyranny, like hell is not easily conqured; yet we have this consolation with us; the the harder the conflict, the more glorius the triumph.


A follower of stereotypes.
One whose pale sands mix with salt water.
where the pang of the warm blue ocean is welcomed by laughing children collecting shells.
And the Sun kisses the skin of those brave enough to fall asleep.
The cotton clouds have hidden themselves over the horizon and dare not disturb the peace of this scene.

But far in the distance is a dark cloud forming swirls.
She gets bigger by the day.
Causing the easily scared to flee.
When she hits three, some of the strong flee for safety.
Suddenly the sands have been untouched for days as the first crash of tall waves beat upon an empty line.
And the howling rip trees from their roots and bends the others.

Roof tiles are easily picked up by the strength that is the wind.
And then the lights go out. They always do.
Electric lines spark and rip apart as a falling branch tries for help.
Then the drip-drop sound of water soaking into the house you live in.
At its loudest show, a crack of light splits the sky so as to knock over a tree you've known your whole life.
When the tree falls, a branch seeks a safer fall.
So it leans towards your home.

CRASH!!!

Your home is destroyed.
Hours upon hours of the same thing happens to your friends.
Your neighbors.

But don't worry!
The sun pokes his head out to see if we're all okay.
And the shore is once again filling up with those who don't have emotional links to what was destroyed.
To them it was just a thunderstorm.
Easily forgettable and we're all able to move on.

Until one hits them.
Until it rips apart places that were "safe" because they're up north.
Until they feel they've had enough attention.
Until they know that we, as humans, have not conquered Mother Nature.

Until then, appreciate the people who endure that every summer all while they enjoy pale sands and a kissing sun.


The author's comments:
Being from Florida, this is about the struggle of Hurricanes. Not something that you see everyday, and definitely not the worst nature can give. But i feel that hurricane Sandy ruined what people from the north think about hurricanes. They only had a level 1 hurricane and were treating it as if it was a 5 that struck. Yes people died, but people die every year in the south, especially Florida, because of hurricanes. And where is our concert to raise money for food? I'm not trying to offend anyone with this, and if you lived in New York or around the area for Sandy, my pity and understanding goes out to you, but I will never treat Sandy as if it were the worst hurricane to hit the U.S. Because it wasn't.