The World's Lovely Contradictions | Teen Ink

The World's Lovely Contradictions

By SheIsODD BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
SheIsODD BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan

Uhm.. I Say "Oh My Gosh, GIRL, NO!" Before I Laugh Hard ...

The world we live in is filled with contradiction. See, girls get accepted for dressing and trying to be boys, but men get treated like animals because they aren't interested in women. We're taught to praise and glorify God, but most people I know only go to church when they're stressing, later on they go to the casino, hit the jackpot and call that their "blessing". It seems as if we don't know the difference between realistic and fiction, we're told to be ourselves, don't act like everyone else just to fit in, but as soon as you do something "unusual" everyone starts to treat you different. The pastor tells us that money is the root of all evil, and then he passes the collection plate around 3 or 4 times.
We teach our kids that it's never too late to live out your dreams and follow your heart but, when times are rough you don't tell her about job corps., you set her up with a bridge card, food stamps, welfare, we're living in hell and nothing here is ever fair. You don't have to be light skinned with long hair to get ahead, see beauty only takes you so far, after a while the only thing you have left is that knowledge locked in your head. But, media doesn't share that with you, NO! They'd rather exploit 16 year-old girls who don't know what a condom is, who's stuck raising a child and still crashin' in her mama's crib. Babies raising babies, who'd ever thought it, would come to this? Why can't we get a show about a kid who’s been through all of it and even beat the odds and now she's got a full scholarship, going off to college and she can finally say she made it.
21st Century? Yeah, we came a long way... oh! And they teach us that race doesn't matter today. Well, I guess my eyes are playing tricks, because every application I fill out asks me about my background ethnic... I don't understand why that should matter; we're all supposed to be equal, right? Well, why do I see so many kids arguing about whether they're skin is dark, or light, they're Indian or white.. Why wouldn't you be proud about your history, about your people and their fight?
This world seems so twisted that it would take a miracle to turn it back right, we would probably have better luck trying to turn back time, and everyone's just walking around pretending like everything is fine... Well, not me! I've had enough and I just had to write this to let you know what's on my mind. Hopefully, this will make you think twice before you make another racial slur, talk about a guys or girls sexuality without even getting to know him or her, before you judge someone based on their appearance. Keep your ignorance to yourself; no one wants to hear it.

When I see all the wrong and unjust things going on in my neighborhood, I have to write about it.

SheIsODD BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan

Thank You So Much! =]

Zinaidia SILVER, Moreno Valley, California

\\\"Whatever you are, be a good one.\\\"

I love this too! You are one of the few who really sticks out, I am adding this to my favorites!