Name Essay | Teen Ink

Name Essay

October 11, 2021
By mms67 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
mms67 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My name is Maggie. It means pearl. My birthstone. It’s not exactly an elegant name. More of a gentle name. Like the breeze on a warm spring day, comfortable. Like light pink, soft and pretty. Like the number 6. Like the sunrise early in the morning with faded colors painting the sky.


My parents named me after the song “Maggie May” by Rod Stewart. Except spelled Mae with an e instead of a y. They said they liked it better with an e. I do too—but maybe that’s just because it’s my name. I’ve never met anyone else who was named after a song, besides my sister. She is named after the song Layla by Eric Clapton. Where my parents got the idea of naming their kids after songs, I have no idea. But I like it. 


My name rhymes with my grandmother’s, which is Linda Rae. It also rhymes with my sister’s and my cousins’. Layla Jae. Leah Rae. Alayna Kae. I am the oldest grandchild, so my name started the rhyming tradition for the girls in our family. It makes me feel more connected with them. Now we all share a special bond between our names. 


A lot of people call me Mags or Mag. My family, friends, and teammates. I have an uncle who always calls me Maggie Mae. He said he loves the sound of it. I love it when people call me by my nicknames, it makes me feel good to know that they feel comfortable enough with me to call me a nickname. 


There is nobody else in my family who shares my name. I will have to make my own story with it. Maybe someday, my grandchildren or even great grandchildren will be named after me. They’ll talk about the stories of my life. Maybe even write an essay like this about me. I want to be remembered as a good person and I want my name to be remembered as a good one. 


I would never change my name. I like the uniqueness and the story behind it. Maggie isn’t super common, but it's also not uncommon. I am like that pearl. I am like the gentle breeze, quiet and soft. Maggie Mae is the perfect name for me. 


The author's comments:

This essay is modeled after "My Name" by Sandra Cisneros.