Carrot top | Teen Ink

Carrot top

January 26, 2022
By iverson27 SILVER, Salem, Oregon
iverson27 SILVER, Salem, Oregon
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Carrot top. That's what they all call her. So you can imagine what she looks like. Red hair, beautiful, round yet narrow face, light freckles sprawled across the bridge of her nose and her cheeks. She could be a model. Everyone sees it, but no one notices. They don't notice the little things because they don't pay attention. Like her violet eyes. They look as a purple ink soaked into a green leaf. A war between life and death. They don't notice how she always sits in the same spot, in the same way, on the same marble countertop in the corner of the science lab. No one notices how she has a favorite expo marker. Black with a broken cap. No one notices how she always rubs her thumb across her lip when she is nervous. No one notices how her skin is always really cold. Her skin should feel like ice but no one knows. No one haze ever touched her. No one has even noticed. All she is to them... is carrot top.


The author's comments:

I wrote this when my best friend gave me random words to write a poem with. Given words: violet eyes, expo marker, marble, and really cold.