Silence | Teen Ink

Silence

By TheRareBreed PLATINUM, Lambertville, Michigan
TheRareBreed PLATINUM, Lambertville, Michigan

“The apple doesn't fall far from the tree." I guess that means we're just products of whoever made us and we don't have much control. The thing is, when people use that phrase, they ignore the most critical part: the falling. Within the logic of that saying, the apple falls every single time. Not falling isn't an option. So, if the apple has to fall, the most important question in my mind is what happens to it upon hitting the ground? Does it touch down with barely a scratch? Or does it smash on impact? Two vastly different fates. When you think about it, who cares about its proximity to the tree or what type of tree spawned it? What really makes all the difference, then, is how we land.”
― Val Emmich, Dear Evan Hansen

.   .   .

Silence is a terrible thing

that makes you think 

and forgets to bring

the light which we sought to see

and lost along with our glee

.  .   .

oh how it ravages your mind

like a rough blue sea with a receding tide

causing the darkest thoughts from below

to come on up into your home

.  .  .

you fought so well

my young friend

ill finish your battles

and bring peace again

don't forget that when darkness strikes

.  .  .

i gave you a piece of my light.

Silence is violent, but sometimes.... sometimes that silence is what you need to invoke change.

I dedicate this to... to the silence. to the people. to my soul, which is bared for you all to see when you read my work.

Lydiaq ELITE said...
Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois

The universe must be a teenage girl. So much darkness, so many stars.
--me

Thank you, @TheRareBreed, for commenting on my poem. That meant so much to me. You don't know how much it means.