Boy | Teen Ink

Boy

October 27, 2022
By magic_ida GOLD, Dallas, Texas
magic_ida GOLD, Dallas, Texas
11 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Boy

This is how you walk to school with pride; this is how you talk with pride; this is how you command people; this is how you obey people but still with pride; this is how someone hits you; this is how to defend yourself if you’re bullied; this is how you react if someone belittles you; this is how you attract women; this is how you flirt with them; this is how you pretend to not care about them; this is how you date a girl; this is how you date a boy, though I really hope you don’t; this is how you pick presents for your date; don’t forget to remember all the anniversaries and special days; don’t look lustfully on any women besides your spouse after you are married; this is how you display your jealousy and anger if your spouse is too close with other males; remember to marry an obedient wife that housekeeps and nurtures your baby; make her understand that you are in charge; this is how you treat your wife when she’s upset; this is how you tame your wife; don't do chores; this is how you hush a child to sleep; this is how you play with children; this is how you show your feelings; this is how you mask your feelings; this is how you act like you’re courageous when you’re actually scared; this is how you restrain from crying even if you want to; never cry in front of the crowd, never; remember to act strong, tough and independent; don’t ever display your sadness or anxiety; don't ever ever cry in front of people, or alone; remember to not engage in female interests like art and theatre; remember to play sports like basketball or football; but what if I don’t like sports?; then start to like them for heaven’s sake; don’t dance or sing or people will look at you in a strange way; this is how you should wear to look like a man; never wear girly clothes; this is how you shave your beard; remember to major in STEM and not the Humanities, they’re for girls; find a STEM-related job and if you don't, never talk to me again; don’t be lazy and sit in your couch all day, nobody likes couch potatoes; I’m not; I’m just making sure you won’t; don’t swear or curse loudly in public but you should do it sometimes; help others if you see them struggle, but don't act too sympathetic; help them carry heavy loads to show how strong you are; don't say sorry to people; don’t breach an oath; be trustworthy or you’ll have no friends; what if I accidentally—; you mean to say that after all you are really going to be the kind of man whom nobody trusts?


The author's comments:

This is an imitation of Jamaica Kincaid's poem "Girl."
It talks about stereotypes imposed on males (and females).