I Am Me | Teen Ink

I Am Me

By emilyjoe DIAMOND, Algonquin, Illinois
emilyjoe DIAMOND, Algonquin, Illinois

"What if the person in the puddle is real, and you're just a reflection?" -Calvin & Hobbes

I’m the type of girl that will tell you her favorite color before her name. I’m skinny. I have medium length brown hair, with blonde highlights. I have brown eyes, and my dad’s nose. I am intellectual. I act like a spaz, yet I yearn for respect and admiration. I try. I cannot run a mile in less than nine minutes. I am nice. My first word was apple. I like the type of boy that has an ugly face, and a beautiful brain. I am a country girl, trapped in a city of torture. I write notes on my hands, and draw smiley faces on my toes. I wear tutus, and funny hats, and I love when people stare in a bad way. I eat with my hands, and burp like a boy. I love to wear dresses, and I love to dance for hours. I’m the type of girl who will have cravings for ice cream at 4:00 a.m. I am every type of girl. I am Emily Joe, and I am me.

I wrote this poem, not to be self centered, or selfish. But to show everybody who I truly am, and how contradicting some of my traits are. I am not one thing, I am many. And I don't appologize for my personality. I am me. (:

addicted2candy BRONZE, Little Rock, Arkansas
Nicely done. The message I got from your poem wasn't necessarily all about you. I interpreted it as a message to  girls to just be themselves. We all are unique in our own way and as human beings, we're too intriguing to just be defined by one label. Good job!