Barbie | Teen Ink

Barbie

By lilmartz PLATINUM, Perrysburg, Ohio
lilmartz PLATINUM, Perrysburg, Ohio

Live Life Like A Party That Never Ends

Barbie doll

Beautiful girl

Figure small

Teeth like a pearl

Blonde hair

Glowing skin

Complexion fair

Utter Perfection

Blue eyes

Pink lips

Thin thighs

Slender hips

Here’s a toast

To the barbie girl

First and foremost

A beautiful girl

Simple description of a Barbie doll that you can hopefully relate to in real life.

What do you see in this poem? What does it mean to you?

beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

I like your description of the Barbie girl---but I don't know what to do with this poem. Is the reader supposed to reach their own conclusion? To me, the Barbie doll is one of a controversial issue. Some say that this is a bad image to little girls, because not everyone looks like that. To others the doll is just a fun toy. Personally, my dolls didn't all look like the one you have described---they were all different in skin color and hair type, etc. But then again, Barbie was just a fun toy when I was younger, not seen as a horrible thing. I don't think Barbie is meant to represent a whole group---she just happens to look the way she does. And this traditional sense of beauty is changing, anyway so I think I'll say that this poem reminds me of playing with my Barbies.

LaceeJade GOLD said...
LaceeJade GOLD, Bucyrus, Ohio

♥ I've made mistakes in my life. i've let people take advantage of me, and i accepted way less than i deserve. But, i've learned from my bad choices, and even though there are some things i can never get back and people who will never be sorry. i'll know better next time and i wont settle for anything less than i deserve. ♥

Perfect discription of a barbie doll! you very good at adding details.

LittleMidnight PLATINUM, Glendale, Arizona

Life is but a book just waiting to be filled, you make your own story

I love the poem! Its the perfect description of a barbie doll. I should know I used to collect them.  

In what it means to me, I see something I could never really become. I see the description of a girl that you may never met in reality. Many women try to become that doll that they so admired when they were just little girls with a dream and barbies dream house.  

Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else - Erna Bombeck

In three words i can sum up everything I've learned in life: it goes on -Robert Frost

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

I really like these lines ''Here's a toast To the barbie girl First and foremost''  Nice rhyme, but i like you should have left out the last line ''A beautiful girl'' but thats just me and its still really good, I like the picture you chose to go with it. And yeah, i can relate!! 

amandap PLATINUM, Midlothian, Virginia
what do I see in this poem? I see media. These are the things that the media throws in our faces, making us us think that we need to look like this, otherwise we aren't beautiful. So in my opinion, I sort of see this as something saying that the media glorifies all of these things, but the only things that have all of them are Barbie dolls. Great poem :)

You asked me what this poem meant to me. Here is MY interpretation of a Barbie girl:

She may look perfect, but under that is a lot of inner trauma. Parents fighting, peer pressure, friends telling her to lose MORE weight so she becomes bullimic, they may give her a cigarette and she's addicted for life. She has to put on a facade to the rest of the world, but deep down she's suffering. I understand what it means to be a Barbie Girl. That's why I'm glad I'm not one.

Anyways, your Princess of Evil gives this a 4/5 :)

just.be.me BRONZE, Dedham, Maine
I really like this!  I think the last 4 or so lines are the strongest.  That's my favorite part anyways.