Penning Chivalry | Teen Ink

Penning Chivalry MAG

By Sarah09 SILVER, Evanston, Illinois
Sarah09 SILVER, Evanston, Illinois

"Glory is seeing the impossible, saying 'screw it,' and drawing your sword anyway." -Anonymous

Between school daze
and summer knights
I sit in my scholarly tower,
Penning chivalry
of the noblest sort.
The epitome of manhood,
Black ink spurs forth
his college-ruled steed,
toward the spiral-bound
damsel in distress.
She is held captive
by the tightest of margins,
her ransom clearly demanded
on the syllabus.
He fights incoherent thoughts,
empty passion,
and clichés of all shapes and sizes,
bravely rescuing said damsel
from the securely zipped back pack
of her own quivering mind.

This is one of the best poems I have ever read on here. In my opinion

ihatesouvenirstores GOLD, Galax, Virginia

"Never let your fears decide your fate."- awolnation

This is one of the best poems I have ever read on here. In my opinion, this tops the best!!!

BreeZephyr SILVER, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

“In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him...it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.” - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

Whoa, your wordplay is AMAZING. Love it love it love it!

Bella13 SILVER said...
Bella13 SILVER, Los Angeles, California

"Wit is educated insolence"

It is so extremely comforting to find writers as well as you in the world and i hope to see more poems!!

moon8 BRONZE said...
moon8 BRONZE, Peaks Island, Maine
Your phasing and words are absolutely beautiful and I love that you used a piece of writing to so elegantly and fantastically describe writing. You bring the words to life in the way that only a true writer can, and you certainly deserved the award you won!

cecchmate said...
The play on words is awesome. Love this. :)

Claudia.VII BRONZE, N/A, California

\"Let them eat cake.\" -Marie Antoinette.
\"Genius is born-- not paid.\" -Oscar Wilde.
\"Press the button, we\'ll do the rest.\" -George Eastman
\"If you\'re going through hell, keep on going.\" - Winston Churchill

Reminds me of "The Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll. I like it and am pleasantly surprised I've found a piece of this caliber on such a site. Keep your imagination intact, no matter what these teen-angst loving, hopelessly 21st century Babbits say. :)

Its.beautiful. BRONZE, Goose Creek, South Carolina

"Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature love says 'I need you because I love you." — Erich Fromm

Well... To begin, "school daze and summer knights"  are a terrible play on words draw in any reader. It may not have been so bad if the rest of the poem related to it, but of course that is not the case. To my understanding those two lines and the following were the start to an extended or pile up of bad metaphors such as the "scholarly tower and college ruled steed". What do they stand for other than a school and a peice of paper, and if that was the only purpose, could you not have simply stated that? By the end of all the unneccessary figurtive language I recived that there is a person in school, writing/ daydreaming. So who exactly is this damsel you speak of, that is trapped in the spiral bound of a (obvious) noebook that is being written in and simultaneously securled in a  zipped in a back pack. I suppose this is also part of this "damsel's syllabus"? I have also noticed you have taken the perspective of I, she, and he within the piece, yet I am still unsure where any of the characters fit in. There are no concrete aspects of the poem to refer to, which gives no clear imagery or tone for the piece.  The title does not tie into the poem other than when you stated the same words in the poem... What's the purpose? Help needed.

Niti-M BRONZE said...
Niti-M BRONZE, Mumbai (Matunga), Other

I love your choice of words. Well written! I wish I could fit words like this in my work. Care to read some of my work? TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/478991/Tryst-with-Destiny/

Your feedback will be much much appreciated and taken in consideration. Thank you so much. :)

DaleTheWhale BRONZE, Tipp City, Ohio

"You weren't put on this earth to be ordinary."

Reading this a few times, I've not quite figured out how exactly this makes sense...but maybe's that the point. Definitely well written, definitely well done.

Indilove GOLD said...
Indilove GOLD, Kenockee, Michigan

No one is your strength or guidance. If life is what you wish to live then do not bind your soul to something unreal. The creater nor the keeper can heal you for it is blind faith that leads you.

This is absolulty amazing!!! Seriously this is great!!! AMAZING WORK!!!

Blueeyedgirl18 GOLD, Kulpmont, Pennsylvania

Life happens while you're busy making plans.

Amazing work!

RedFeather GOLD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Prose is like walking but poetry is like dancing.
—Paul Valery, poet (1871 - 1945)

Wow. Awesome poem! Love the way you ended it too! Congrats on making the magazine, btw. Can anyone check out some of my work if you've got some free time?

Big k said...
Huh...........

dakotawright SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

I love this poem. As simple as that, I love it.

Natasha1994 SILVER, Arizona City, Arizona

i love this poem good description on it 

great job

Lexie96 GOLD said...
Lexie96 GOLD, Havana, Illinois

Now Cinderella don't you go to sleep, it's such a bitter form of refuge, oh don't you know the kingdom's under siege, and everbody needs you. - The Killers

Love it, and love what it was describing. Great work, check out some of mine if you have the time?

sumleng GOLD said...
sumleng GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey
I love the first two lines with the daze and knights, very creative. Awesome work!

BrightBurningCampeador PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
I like it a lot! As an avid fantasy reader and long time fantasy writer I can put my own emotions and experiences into these words. It's most definitely not every poem I can do that with.

Gurl please chivalry died a long time ago!!!!