As the Pendulum Swings | Teen Ink

As the Pendulum Swings

By projectwarbird SILVER, Cordova, Tennessee
projectwarbird SILVER, Cordova, Tennessee

"Aristophanes once wrote, roughly translated; 'Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever.'" ~William Hundert

Time ticks by in the Earth and Sky,
The birds they sing as the Pendulum Swings,
The sun and Moon are setting soon,
and all ears ring as the Pendulum Swings

Seconds make hours and the hours grow sour,
We live our life so full of strife,
The days drag on and tire the the strong,
but our songs we sing as the Pendulum Swings,

We waste our lives on things and lies,
We sit and wait through war and hate,
We live for the now and never ask how,
We don't to a thing as the Pendulum Swings

When will we see that there's more we could be?
That time is a gift, and that it is swift?
We're losing our chance, so lets wake from this trance,
and let us do great things as the Pendulum Swings

"Time and Tide wait for no man." We in America are blessed beyond reason and yet we are lazy. We want others to do the hard things for us so that we can just move along and never have to face a challenge. This is a call to my fellow teenagers to get off the couch and do hard things because time is valuable and it's a shame to waste it. We used to be a country that did things, great things: We went to the Moon, we won World War Two, we invented flight. Now we've become complacent. Let's raise a new generation that is willing to take a stand and do what others will not.

No, that was a typo, there were several that I noticed after I posted it. For instance I used two the's in the second stanza and I used to instead of do in the third. Thanks for the comment!

SarasotaWonder BRONZE, Cumberland, Maine
Great work with this!!!!!!!! I especially loved the rythmn to it....was saying it outload :) ...and then the message.....JUST GREAT! :) ..... The only thing i noticed was after the seconf stanza you have a comma, but not after any other. is it supposed to be that way? great work!

Thank you!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

HOLY SHISH KABOBS I LOVE THIS. And I'm not just saying that, because really, flattery is not my style. I really, truly adore this, and I added it as a favorite. You've put (very eloquent) words to what I feel. Amazing work, my friend. :)