Quest of the Sidewalk | Teen Ink

Quest of the Sidewalk

By CariePierce BRONZE, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
CariePierce BRONZE, Lancaster, Pennsylvania

"Imagination rules the world." -Napoleon Bonaparte

She stuck her arms out to her sides fighting to maintain her balance as she walked along the steep cliff of the sidewalk edge.
She wondered if the sidewalk ever ended, coming to an abrupt stop at the edge of the earth.
She felt the rough dry skin of the autumn leaf held in her hand.
She wondered where the sidewalk DID end, anyway.
Step by step she walked, feeling each pebble beneath her sneakers and mismatched socks.
She wondered if she would ever travel to the end of the sidewalk, walking on and on collecting leaves.
She saw a bird flit past in her peripheral vision, silhouetted against the muted colours of this autumn sunset.
She wondered if it was an incredibly far place to go, the end of the sidewalk.
She murmured a whispered a hello to the old man, not wishing to disturb the peaceful air as is whooshed by her face in ever cooling breezes.
She wondered if anyone would go with her on the journey to the end of the sidewalk.
She let a leaf go from her fingertips, watching the breaths of autumn carried it away, scritch scratching its surface against the faded asphalt.
She wondered if that someone would hold her hand as they walked to the end of the sidewalk, steadying her as she tight rope walked along.
She came to the end of the sidewalk.
She stopped.
She smiled.
She found a new quest to engage her imagination on this sweet evening stroll.

I went for a walk and remembered my childhood, and how those innocent days are behind us. I hope this helps to reflect on what once was and the sweetness of whatever may not be again.

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

Well I got the "journey" and do NOT feel like it was choppy. Great job, keep up the awesomeness:)

Thank you so much! That's very nice of you to say!

Thank you. I like the ending the way that it is, it's supposed to be anticlimatic. You see, the point is that she's young, and the distraught that often accompanies the ending of something so meaningful is simply not there. She just smiles and moves on. Thank you for your feedback.

Stella_Val_Illicia GOLD, Salt Lake City, Utah

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad idea."
--Douglas Adams

I really feel as if this is me, walking to the end of the sidewalk. I loved the language used in this piece, and it intrigued me as soon as I started reading. This is a wonderful poem that many of us can relate to. Congrats!

Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
I like this piece more than your other one. I think it's beautiful and I actually follow what's happening without getting bored or lost. I almost feel like I know who she is. I like the repetition too. I think it could use a more evocative ending though. 

Thank you very much! The she actually was used repeatedly on purpose.

Katsa08 SILVER said...
Katsa08 SILVER, Sidney, Iowa

"Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does."
"What others think of me is none of my business."

I find this piece to be very sweet, reminiscent of hiking in the woods during my childhood. That being said, there a few suggestions that I'd like to make. Firstly, I feel like "she" was overused here. Maybe that was your point, but from my perspective, it makes the entire flow feel a little choppy. And that's my second suggestion. Try to pace your poem in a way that it takes us on a journey. With all of that, I still enjoyed your poem very much. Like I said, I think anyone can relate to it. :)