Good Luck | Teen Ink

Good Luck

By LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico
LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

I don’t dare say your name, for what might I hear?
When I stutter it out loud my body shivers in fear-
It’s sleek down the spine but cringes at the ear.
I’ll avoid your face, for I know what a sight.
It’s like walking with my eyes closed and searching for a light.

The silence in your voice says you’ve got nothing to lose, that’s why you do things I’d never choose.
You’re on a tight ripe above water, but you can’t even swim.
While inching your way to the other side, a tear rolls down, you’re starting to cry.
That’s not the sad part, my dear friend, for our friendship has come to an end.
I can’t help you because you never helped back, so your on your own, I’ve strayed from the pack.
Good luck with that and good luck with this, you’re something I may not even miss.

It breaks my heart; it makes me sad to think of all the times we had. You made me laugh and you made me cry. And all that I can do is sigh and wonder why.

Wings10FeetTall GOLD, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

May your words be sharp.
- Christopher Paolini

Nobody's going to wait for you, so do it now.
-Ingrid Michaelson

Broken hearts heal, but never the same.
- Jessica Romo

Idiots rely on luck.
-Sherlock Holmes

This is an amazing poem. I loved it! I don't think that I've ever read one quite like it. There was so much emotion in it. One of your most brillaint works.

BlurAngel GOLD said...
BlurAngel GOLD, Bexleyheath, Other

Love is an Emotion of strong Affection and Personal Attachment.....

WOW... this is A M A Z I N G.. simply W O N D E R F U L L..... Loved it.....

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

Wow Lexus! This is by far my favorite of your pieces! It is filled with so much raw emotion. The line "it's like walking with my eyes closed and searching for the light" is perfect. Absolutely flawless. I am floored. Amazing imagery and I love ow it rhymed. Can't believe I didn't check this out before! 5/5 stars. Just so you know this is totally relatable, and you can move a lot of people with this poem. I can't even tell you how many people I know have completely abandoned my freindship. It sucks. But u know what.... If they can't see the genius in u then they are not worth it. Again, amazing job!

mnm08 BRONZE said...
mnm08 BRONZE, Grande Prairie, Texas

"A writer needs the industry of an ant, the creativity of a kitten and the hid of an armadillo."- Author Unknown

I love the emotion that is molded into the poem , it makes it very natural :) I especially like the part where it says "the silence in your voice says you've got nothing to lose, that's why you do things I'd never choose" , beautiful :) 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

First, when I read the title all i could think was Good Luck Chuck and Good Luck Charlie. Don't know why. Lol. Anyway the ending is very good. And the words flow smoothly so nicely. Great poem.

StarlitSunrise DIAMOND, Clemmons, North Carolina

"Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing." ~Camille Pissarro

The rhythm in this is very well done; it flows naturally and there is a clear beat. I also like the fact that you did not seem to stretch for rhymes. Overall, a very well written poem. You managed to say a lot without exactly spelling it all out, which I really enjoyed. Great work!

Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

The flow gets a little wonky in the second half, but not too bad. I found the line "I'll avoid your face, for I know what a sight." To be a little confusing. I loved the first stanza otherwise, though, and you ended the poem qite cleverly! Good job!

Thank you very much! I really, really appreciate it!

writergirl36 GOLD, Chattanooga, Tennessee

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain!"

This is very well written!!! I love how descriptive it was!!! You are an amazing writer. Keep writing!!!!

Where it says 'ripe' it's supposed to be 'rope'! Ha! Sorry.