Mañana | Teen Ink

Mañana

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

The twanging and tinkling
of guitars surrounded us
with the pungent aroma
of California grapes—
the moon was tawny and obese
and the stars hung low,
glowing like Japanese lanterns;
you kissed me
and whispered in my ear,
“Mañana.” The word to me
was dulcet as the
melodious music of guitars.
“‘Everything’ll be all right tomorrow’,”
you promised.
“Mañana,” I repeated,
as the guitars strummed in agreement.

This is inspired by On the Road, when Terry promises Sal that everything will be better tomorrow. Read this novel. It will transform you. "Everything'll be all tight tomorrow" is a quote from the novel. Also listen to some guitar music while reading this. By the way, MyApocalytic, I used that line "the moon was tawny and obese."

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I do have more (a ton more). Thank you, Chris. 

ChrisJ PLATINUM, Rochester, New York

"Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.”
- Martin Luther King Jr.

So romantic, rhythmic, and soothing all at once. I haven't seen you write like this before, but now I want more.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

De nada. I'm so happy I found another Hispanic poet. We're not getting enough credit. Most people don't think Hispanics can write. We must show them we can. ^u^ Also I get, "Oh, you can write, so you must be a girl." -_- Hispanic boys can write also. Gracias. 

Brisa PLATINUM said...
Brisa PLATINUM, Wasilla, Alaska

"Si dan a tú papel alineado, escribas el otro camino."
"If they give you lined paper, write the other way"
-Juan Ramon Jiminez

I just read this whole comment section and died laughing because everyone assumes everybody else to be white. I do that too. There are a lot more Hispanics here than I thought. This is awesome:) muchas gracias para su trabajo, Mckay.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Nope. Mine is just as boring. And don't allow yourself to descend into the pit of writer's block. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Gracias, amigo.

SoulPoetry PLATINUM, Sierra Madre, California

"I will work harder" (animal farm boxer the horse)

Very beautiful amigo. I love it!

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

Haha yeah he's pretty awesome :) and just saying my summer is kinda boring soo i am sure yours is better. Plus i have no inspiration..... So i can't write either...

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I'm trying to make it rock. It's been tough. But I can't complain. CONGRATS SO HAPPY FOR YOU! And I'm honored I could introduce you to a poet I admire and love so much. THANK YOU NICK BURD FOR MENTIONING LORCA IN YOUR WONDERFUL NOVEL! THANK YOU! I'M FOREVER INDEBTED WITH YOU!  I'm not sure if I read it. I read so many; and love them all. 

I checked out the poet and: HE IS SOOOOOO GOOD I AM IN LOVE!!!!! Ok sorry his poetry is so inspiring. Did you read The city That Never Sleeps or something. It's amazing! I mean, incredible ;)) thank you so much for showing him to me i feel blessed ) oh and by the way i got one of your common editors choices on my new fiction piece. I screamed with joy! ;) anyway, hope your summer rocks as much as mine does :)) haha anyway byeeeeee

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

YES DO IT. SI. POR FAVOR. I'm not fluent fluent. But I'm getting there. You can post it whever you want. On the forum would be fine. If you ever wanna email me. That'd be great. I do with many people. Get their feedback before I post things. I'm up to it. And do read his work. By the way, it's Federico. His poetry is elegant. I relate to a lot of his stuff. Thank you. Gracias.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

READ THE NOVEL!! Sorry, if this wasn't clear. I thought it would be. You don't have to read the novel to understand it. But I do recommend the novel. Thanks. 

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

I counldn't quite understand the whole poem. Maybe I'll try reading the novel (if I find it) and read this again.  Anyway, i like how you describe everything--from the scene to the feeling of your character.

Haha, i assumed that you were white as well. I also do not know why. I have a question, do you speak spanig fluently? I certainly don't, though i do speak the language pretty well. Anyway, i have been starting to try to incorporate some heritage into my pieces, but i need feedback. Is there any place that i can post it so you can take a lol (if you are up to it). Also, i will definitly check out that poet. I think spanish poetry is so elegant, and your "heritage poems" as I will now call them are no exception. That's all mckay :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Wow. I'm honored. First, the check mark. Then plenty of positive feedback. Now, the Wall of Fame of Krasota. What next? I'm having the time of my life writing for all of you. Thanks so so so much. I'm really honored. I need to prepare an acceptance speech now.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

REALLY?! I didn't know you were Spanish. I assumed you were white. I don't know why. But you should incorporate some heritage into your work. I just started doing it. So far, I've received positive feedback. I just started reading Neruda. So far, I like him. I've read more of Federica Garcia Lorca. Read his poetry. It's beautiful. I read his work, because the novel Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd mentions him. Alex Kincaid tells Dade Hamilton that his ex intorduced him to Lorca. When I saw that poet's name, I was so intrigued that I had to read his work. And it was worth the read. 

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

YUHS! I love the last line about the guitars strumming in agreement :D This is going on my Wall of Fame (I've devoted a whole wall ceiling to floor for Teen Ink masterpieces)! Have a great day, Mckay!

Hey, I'm Hispanic too! And I am definitly looking into On The Road. I think that I should start encorperating spanish into my work as well. Get a little heratige in there ;)  Do you like Pablo Neruda? I think he is pretty good. Anyway, great work.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

READ THIS NOVEL. READ IT. I can't emphasize it anymore. I'm not if you'll like it. But I finished it recently; and I'm in love with it. And yes, I'm hispanic. So that's why. I love Spanish infusion with poetry. And I'm trying to do more of it. And thank you. I'm so happy this poem turned out nicely. And that people are showing love for it. Thanks, Liv. And I'll keep on writing as long as I live. And rocking too. 

Wonderful as usual! I loved the Spanish incorporated in the end. Do you speak spanish because this isn't the first by you (Besos) that has Spanish in it. I myself speak spanish so i was just wondering. Can I just say that I loved the longing in this poem. I think it can resonate with all of us, that feeling that everything will be alright tomorrow. And since i am the worlds biggest fiction junkie, i am already excited to read On The Road. I think the descriptions displayed in here are beautiful and the picture you chose is perfect. I will read this again just because. Also, i just want to thank you Mckay because lately i have been realizing that poetry and writing fiction is my therapy. I know this sounds silly, but I am really sad like really sad about leaving my school so lately there has been a lot more tears and a lot more poetry. So thanks for helping me see that and your poetry always inspires me as we'll as some of our conversations. So that's all and keep rockin (and please never stop writin)