i am your fragment/you are my run-on | Teen Ink

i am your fragment/you are my run-on MAG

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

i am your fragment
an unfinished thought
begun but unexplored
a fresh new idea
but that is all i am
the start of something new
an uncultured whimsy
with no end
an alpha with no omega

you are my run-on
your story never ends
inconstant and indifferent
moving rapidly from
one thought to the next
never bothered by the
disjointed fragments
you leave behind
you have your
ands buts ors nors fors yets
to excuse yourself

you make it seem like
we will unify to create
a clear sentence
eventually a coherent thought
a pulsing one
you stretch my premature limbs
to make me fit
into your story
but i am incomplete
and you move on
while i crawl to you

i was never
a part of you
i'd never complete you
and you'd never be
the happy ending
to my miserable beginning

I'm a grammar nerd. I friggin (that's not grammatically correct but bear with me) love English. Therefore, I was inspired to write this poem. Plus, a ton of other emotions. I wrote it a long time ago. But I was too damn lazy to submit it. According to the WritingCenter, "a sentence fragment is an incomplete sentence." And according to Wikipdedia, "a run-on is a sentence in which two or more independent clauses (i.e., complete sentences) are joined without appropriate punctuation or conjunction." (A run-on just continues from one thought to the next without a pause.)By the way the line, "and's but's..." are conjunctions.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

*bows* Thank you, thank you, thank you. I doubt I'll ever be as great as he was and is. Nonetheless, my ego for now will accept your incredible comment. Thanks. ^u^

Scarlett_the_pegacorn BRONZE, Niceville, Florida

Don't tell me how to live my life; I do what I want.

People obviously take the time to read the rambling of another person. Example: Shakespeare. He's a legend and all he did was express himself. Yeah, I just compared you to Shakespeare. You're way better than him though. ;D

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Hey, you! So nice to see you again, particularly in this vicinity of the nieghborhood (Come here more often...). Thank you so much, MaybeImCrazyButIThinkILovedYou. 

KylieK GOLD said...
KylieK GOLD, Mt. Washington, Kentucky

"To love is to surpass one's self."

Beautiful.  I love how you made the run-on and the sentence fragments physical characters.

east_of_ada said...
on Sep. 29 2013 at 10:23 am
east_of_ada, Null, Other

"As for me, I am a watercolor. I wash off." (via Anne Sexton,"For My Lover, Returning To His Wife")

"I think I made you up inside my head.'' (via Sylvia Plath, "Mad Girl's Love Song")

"You called it cosmic; I thought it was icy." (via Ada Coen)

lorde, i thought i'd replied to this. but i guess not. D: yes i mean what i say; i don't like to do word play :D you're a fabulous creature.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you, neighbor. In that case, I invite you again around this neighborhood. Means so much that a talented writer as yourself would think this poem is "AWESOME! :D". 감사합니다 (Hope that makes sense. XD)

GreyGirl ELITE said...
on Sep. 28 2013 at 12:59 am
GreyGirl ELITE, Pohang,Kyungbuk, Other
Just your neighborhood admirer stopping by to say this poem is AWESOME! :D

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Krasota, long time no see and chat. Thank you so much for commenting on this poem. Makes my day! 

Mckay ELITE said...
on Sep. 19 2013 at 11:57 am
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

^u^ Thanks so much, bridezilla. That means that world to me. I mean it. Not many people would take time to read the rambling of another person. Thank you thank you thank you. You're awesome-sauce. 

xD I absolutely love reading your poetry! I wish I had time to read more, but I usually only read it when I have a free period between classes. :/ it's freaking amazing and perfectly written by a perfectly perfect person.

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

So incredibly original XD The imagery and personification just leaves me breathless. Congrats on the Editor's Choice award!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Well, you can marry it I guess. I mean, it's single and ready to mingle. XD Thanks you so much, Scar. I appreciate it when you read my poetry. Awesome-sauce. 

Is it possible for me to marry this poem? I. Love. It. As always you expressed your thoughs effortlessly and I am left breathless.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Wow....really? Well, I think, you should question your existence. You should continue writing and living. *cries tears of joy and overwhelming gratitude*

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Well, I'm very glad you're back. And happy to hear you did well on your exams. I'll be here for that same amount of time as well, I hope. Thank you, Dua, for all your kind words. I appreciate them, every one of them. 

on Sep. 10 2013 at 8:23 am
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Plus I kinda knew your name too, by the subcription thing so I thought it only fair that you knew mine :)

on Sep. 10 2013 at 8:21 am

- Maya Angelou

Hhahaaahhaa, well let me tell you and calm you then that I'm never going to be done with TeenInk and I shall only ever stop posting stuff til in 2015 when I turn 20 ( sadly :P )  And well, exams were good, result is 2As in Physics and Computing and 1B in Maths. Which disappointed me a lot. But we have two more maths papers in A2 so I guess I can improve the result. Just pray for me.  Well I LOVEd reading it. So you're quite welcome. I had somewhat forgotten your kind words while I was gone. I missed you.

east_of_ada said...
east_of_ada, Null, Other

You're welcome. This is one of those poems that makes me question my own existence. I cannot even do this -bawls tears of joy-

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I'm moved...truly touched by your incredibly kind words. They are so overwhelming that I just want to lock up myself like a hermit in my room and write more poems non-stop. Thank you, Ada, for all you encouraging words. Your feedback is a gift. Thank you.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

ChrisJ, thank you. I mean it. Thank you.