Lady Electric | Teen Ink

Lady Electric

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

The scientists in snowy white lab coats
stretch ebony skin taut
over a frame of synthetic steel
—made in Kansas—
combing a glossy pompadour,
curling—up and down—
the long lashes of each almond eye,
manicuring the acrylic nails
—electric yellow—
of each thin finger,
dabbing a little raspberry rouge
on both lips and cheeks,
tying her leather Oxfords,
and finally—
buttoning her tailored tuxedo.

A mannequin to the public;
a Q.U.E.E.N to the critics:
ooh-ing and ah-ing
like a canary,
singing blithely in electric tunes
to the mindless and mechanical—
“I’m not afraid of human beings.”

After reading a Janelle Monáe's—a native from Kansas with an android alter ego (Cindi Mayweather)—TIME magazine interview (from which the last quote in the poem comes from), discussing her new album—The Electric Lady, which includes the song "Q.U.E.E.N" —I was inspired with this poem. Until then, I hadn't heard much of her music; but, now, I can honestly say her music demonstrates her (unappreciated) talent in the music industry.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

AWWWWW!! Thanks ^u^ Means a lot to me

SpidersAcrossStars PLATINUM, Hayward, California

For you, a thousand times over.

this poem is sooooooo dope! fantastic job. added to favorites

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I'm glad you think so. Thanks. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

That's so nice of you to say. thnx

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thanks. That makes my day. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thanks for enjoying this. I'll do my best to check out your work. Bear with me if it takes a while. 

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

I really enjoyed reading this, especially the part where you described what she looked like. Great job! Could you check out some of my work? Thank you! XD

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

Very cool.. I don't know much about Janelle herself, but I really liked this. THe beginning diction was really phenomenal... I love how crisply your words seem to snap into place. The specifics of hte poem are also very professional. Overall, just really nice. I love your writing style. I'll definitely be looking at more pieces.

BorderlineGenius777 SILVER, Lewiston, Idaho

"If all our misfortunes were laid in one common heap, whence everyone must take an equal portion, most would be content to take their own and depart."- Socrates

You have such an interesting style. Thanks for sharing this. 5/5

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

You have taken Janelle, analyzed her head-to-toe, and utterly transformed her into a legend-like figure with your descriptions. Just wow. You stole my breath with each line. AMAZING JOB! 5/5

east_of_ada said...
east_of_ada, Null, Other

"As for me, I am a watercolor. I wash off." (via Anne Sexton,"For My Lover, Returning To His Wife")

"I think I made you up inside my head.'' (via Sylvia Plath, "Mad Girl's Love Song")

"You called it cosmic; I thought it was icy." (via Ada Coen)

you are so w.e.l.c.o.m.e just do what you do and never stop~

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

thank you, dear. t.h.a.n.k. y.o.u. i'll try to keep it up. ^u^

east_of_ada said...
east_of_ada, Null, Other

p.e.r.f.e.c.t.i.o.n we have discussed this friend, i think you are perfect~i love it, okay, it's perfection please keep it up before i faint from overall poetry pleasure.

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

No, thank you for your comments ;) I would've replied directly but I have a rule about replying to comments on my stuff but I didn't want you to feel slighted so thank you! That's good philosiphy, I like it. I just might have to one day. Check this android woman out, I mean.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

That's a good thing if this poem made you shiver. Emily Dickinson said that if it made you shiver it was poetry. I'm referecing to a musician. I had a feeling most people wouldn't know who I wasn't talking about. If you ever have the time, check her out. She's very different than most pop artist. Partly, because she's not a pop artist. But she's definitely talented. Thank you so much for commenting. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Hey, youuuu!!! I've been missing you. It's been forever since we last chatted. I have not heard that song. But I'm honored that this poem did remind you of a Lana Del Rey song. (Since you recommended me a song, I'll recommend you a movie to watch. Have you watched Mud? If you haven't you MUST!) I wish you luck with every everything you're doing. Hope to have you here again soon. Thank you! 

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Is it bad a poem about an android woman makes shivers run down my spine? I loved the imagery, the rythme made it feel kind of musical but unfortunetly I have no idea what you're refrenceing and I don't have time to look it up.

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hello, Mckay! I have missed you and I hope that you are doing well! I have not been on in a very long time, as I have been extremely busy! But, I decided to come and tell you hello and wish you the best of luck in all that you may do while I am away. I am not quitting teenink I am just taking a bit of a break. This poem reminded me of Lana Del Rey, she has a song called 'Body Electric', maybe you have heard it? I love the background to the poem and the inspiration. As always this was extremely well written and I miss reading your work very much. Great job with the tiny details and everything in between. I love the set-up and everything about this. I miss you:)