I Believe | Teen Ink

I Believe

By kathrynm95 BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
kathrynm95 BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida

I remember my very first time performing in front of an audience. I graced the stage at six years old as a flying purple people eater in the Children’s Musical Theater performance of Rock and Roll Is Here to Stay. Bolting onto that stage with the new friends I had made and dancing my heart out for so many people brought me more joy than I had ever felt before. It’s been over eleven years since I first made way onto the stage singing, dancing, and acting, and still nothing matches the love I found for this art. I believe in expression. ?I believe in pre-show jitters and post-show depression. ?I believe in the tuning of strings before the curtain rises, and an anxious audience. ?I believe in transporting each member of the crowd from their red squeaky seats into the story, and holding their hand through every plot twist, celebration, and devastating moment. ?I believe in overtures, and I believe in reprises. ?I believe that there are times when song is the most effective way to tell a story. ?I believe in Fosse and Robins, and the Stanislavski method. ?I believe in sitzprobes, along with cast parties and walk-throughs. ?I believe in Phantoms, and Birdies, and Chorus Lines. ?I believe in calling tech week, hell week. ?I believe in the Sharks and the Jets, and La Vie Boheme. ?I believe in committing to a part. ?My years of performing in musicals have given me so many experiences that I wouldn’t exchange for gold. It has taught me how to work with people toward a common goal. I have created a families outside of my own with each cast and show. I have developed a true love. I believe in passion. ?I believe in Broadway. ?I believe in musicals. ?I believe in musical theatre.

This is about my love for musical theatre.