Realization | Teen Ink

Realization

By WritinGirl PLATINUM, DeKalb, Illinois
WritinGirl PLATINUM, DeKalb, Illinois

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ~Maya Angelou

I say I’m a Christian
I go to church
I pray

I know I believe
What the Bible says
I’ve been baptized
and I try to follow the laws

But something is missing,
a part that’s not there
Something crucial
I can tell

I listen to stories
of people with hard lives
doubting God was there
going through strife

But my life’s not like that,
It’s actually pretty good,
I believe wholeheartedly
at least,
I thought I did.

Then I realized,
what about the love?
where’s the proof,
that I loved?

What would they say,
if I died right now.
Would they morn
and then get on with their lives
like nothing had happened?
Would they rejoice?

I look around me,
at my family, my life.
Every time I meet someone
I have a chance to change their life.
They could change mine

Then with a sinking feeling
I come to find,
My heart has hardened,
And I don’t really care

So with trembling fingers
I reach for my Bible
opening up
to a Psalm

Tears blur my vision
as I start to read
dropping on the fragile page

This is true--I realized that I fully believe, but yet, I don't fully obey. I need to remember "Do not merely listen to the Word and so deceive yourself. Do what it says"!

MalaikaJ GOLD said...
MalaikaJ GOLD, Cloquet, Minnesota

I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions. - James Michener

This is such a great reminder! I've been reading about keeping the spirit of the law, and not just going through the motions. I think this poem applies to that. Great job!

on Sep. 16 2014 at 9:57 am
WritinGirl PLATINUM, DeKalb, Illinois

No, I've never seen it--that's such a powerful quote, though, and so true. Thanks for sharing it!

on Sep. 16 2014 at 8:30 am
Extraterrestrial SILVER, Singapore, Other

"Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!"

You're quite welcome. I pretty much agree with what you said -- harsh living conditions either makes one cling more tightly to religion, or relinquish it altogether. Have you watched Life of Pi? There's a good quote in there somewhere: "Faith is a house with many rooms." "But no room for doubt?" "Oh plenty, on every floor. Doubt is useful, it keeps faith a living thing."

WritinGirl PLATINUM, DeKalb, Illinois

Thank you. I didn't noitce the morn/mourn mistake...oops! That's a hard question. I think it can be easier to say you believe in God--but in reality you don't, whereas people who lead hard lives usually are either very strongly against or strongly for, God. So I guess it would really depend! What do you think?

on Sep. 15 2014 at 11:05 am

This poem speaks to me... as a Catholic, I understand perfectly where you're coming from. Sometimes it's hard to just believe. Most often, pure faith is not something that can be backed by scientific logic. I think you've captured the doubts a religious person faces or will face very well. Only thing I'd like to comment on is a spelling mistake -- it's mourn, not morn. Overall, great job; this is a thoughtful, emotional piece. On a slightly unrelated note, do you think it's easier to believe in God if you've had an easy life where everything is handed to you, or a hard life?