Nice: A Definition | Teen Ink

Nice: A Definition MAG

By Cameandgonesmarty ELITE, North Vancouver, Other
Cameandgonesmarty ELITE, North Vancouver, Other

"One day, your life will flash before your eyes; make sure it's worth watching."

“Today was a nice day,” a dear friend said to me
I replied, “What is the meaning of ‘nice'? Thousands of things it could be!”
He stared at me, a look of confusion sweeping across his face
“My comrade,” I said, “When we have such descriptive words, ‘nice' is such a waste!
How was your day ‘nice'? Was the weather sunny?
Did you ace your difficult math test? Was a joke you heard very funny?
Did it have you rolling on your stomach, and laughing while you cried?
Did it make your straight, white teeth sparkle bright as you smiled a grin so wide?
The breakfast you ate was delicious, was it? And school today wasn't a bore?”
“I get your point,” he said. I replied, “But ah! There is so much more!
Did you fall in love today? And was she the one you were dreaming of?
Was she what you expected or was it an unexpected love?
Did her eyes send chills down your spine? Does her smile make your heart skip a beat?
Having her close sends a warm feeling through you, doesn't it? Straight from your nose to feet?”
“Any more examples?” My friend's pupils rolled as he spoke sarcastically.
“Well, you'd have to be an idiot to think I'd come up with only two or three!
Did you compose a melody, one that brings tears to people's eyes?
Did you discover something new and are you now known among the wise?
Did you write a poem – one that everyone in the world will someday know?
Or did you travel to Paris, or Rome? Did you see all the places you've wanted to go?”
My friend replied, “I think I've learned my lesson now. I now know all the meanings of ‘nice'
And unless I wish to hear all this again, before I use it next time, I'll think twice!”

Thank you!!!

hahaha I do that so often, too! Thank you so much!

DreamersJourney SILVER, Old Massett, Other

"The best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing."
"Decide to have an attitude of gratitude, you can become bitter or better."
"beYOUtiful, everyone else is taken."

Worth reading every word! Simply enjoyable:)

MistyVenture GOLD, Newman Lake, Washington

“If you’re going to be a writer, the first essential is just to write. Do not wait for an idea. Start writing something and the ideas will come. You have to turn the faucet on before the water starts to flow.” —Louis L’Amour

Haha I like this! I am looking through Limericks right now on TeenInk to see if I can get some inspiration for a school project in creative writing and came across this one. I loved it! No wonder it was published. This is "nice". :)

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Oh...haha...hey,  You were a teenager in grade 6???

oh haha i came up with it when I was in grade 6 it just kinda stuck. It's kinda like a "been there, done that," thing; lol it made sense at the time :P

- Maya Angelou

:D Hey, um can I ask you? what does your username mean??

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH THAT MEANS THE WORLD TO ME!!!! and u seem rlly nice too :)

- Maya Angelou

Oh, I just liked your stuff a lot... :D plus you seem like a really nice person :P and I hit that "Email me when Comeandgonesmarty contributes work" the first time so now it's easier to keep track of the new stuff and I can keep going to the old stuff whenever I'm free... ANd : The pleasure is mine. :)

HAHAHA I know, I put a lot of stuff on....hey you've done so much already thank you! and it means a lot to me that you are continuing to look at my stuff. :)   I really appreciate it

- Maya Angelou

You're welcome! And well it is  avery very interesting poem plus.. I didn't see ALL of it to be honest..I mean you've put up such a lot of stuff, I will see it all but it's  not a one-day job :P   I checked out the first 3 pages of the long long list... 

Thank you so much! Haha I'm glad you like it so much and thank you so much for viewing all my stuff!

Hahaha thank you so much! wow and thanks for looking at so much of my stuff! This piece was funny to me, because I didn't really intend to put it on Teenink. I wrote it in English class last year when my teacher was telling us to use descriptive words instead of just "nice," and I was just gonna show him., but i ended up putting it on for the hell of it and hey what do you know!   Goes to show that different people see quality differently, and you should put everything you write on the site just in case!   Thanks again!

- Maya Angelou

THis one is so amazing....Ooh thank God I didn't say "NIce"....:D LOved LOved LOved it. Made me laugh and impressed me at the same time. No wonder it got published. Awesome.

Thank you so much :) that's what I was aiming for!

WaffleOcean2934 PLATINUM, Rogers, Minnesota

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams-Eleanor Roosevelt

This was really funny!  It has a really good flow of words.  Good job on it!  :)