I Am Not My Hair | Teen Ink

I Am Not My Hair

By AjaW329 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
AjaW329 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

"Little girl with the press and curl
Age eight I got a Jheri curl
Thirteen I got a relaxer
I was a source of so much laughter
At fifteen when it all broke off
Eighteen and went all natural
February two thousand and two
I went and did
What I had to do
Because it was time to change my life
To become the women that I am inside
Ninety-seven dreadlock all gone
I looked in the mirror
For the first time and saw that HEY....

[Chorus]
I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am not your expectations no no
I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am a soul that lives within..."

What inspired use verse this is because I can relate to it. The day before my 16th birthday, I decided to take a big step in my life, and that meant cutting my hair. I thought long and hard about the decision and thought that this was something that I knew this is what I really wanted to do. I thought it would show who I was as a person, and set me apart from alot of other people. However, what I didn't know was that so many people were going to judge me on how my hair looked. Not by having a conversation with me, or even what I had on, but more or so, my hair.

I knew I would have to deal with some criticism but that was what I was willing to accept. I was not going to let what someone says or think of me ruin how I feel about myself and my hair.

Even thought a got an abundant amount of comments on how people liked my hair, I would still get a lot of stares and weird looks when I would get on public transportation. One day while on my way to school I thought to myself. I thought "People have a hard time accepting someone who doesn't look like them, and quick to judge them by that", whether it be their hair or something else. So I took that and kept my day going. I didn't care about anything anyone else said about how I looked, as long as I felt confident in myself. Now anytime I feel that someone is being quick I just say to myself that I'm comfortable on how I look, because I am a soul that lives within.

AjaW329 BRONZE said...
Oh my god this was horrible.lol.Can't Believe I wrote it. I came a far way in writing now that I think about where I am Now.