Green was her favorite color | Teen Ink

Green was her favorite color

By Friggi PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia
Friggi PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia

Giving up is not weakness it means you are strong and brave enough to let it all go

It was two days after her sweet sixteen when he kissed her goodbye, she stood with all her friends who said “he’s got a ticket to ride”
Green was her favorite color but that day it looked so sad and as he walked away she saw him looking back

She cried at night when the news came ‘round every time
He would send her letters from, where ever he was she kept them in a box tied with little bows and all of her letters ended with x’s and o’s

Now she hasn’t got a letter in a couple weeks and the guy comes to the door, he hands her a card and says sorry ma’am but he won’t be coming back anymore

Her friends tie the ribbon ‘round that big oak tree and she sits and cries and wipes tears from her eyes, and they hand her the flag and all that’s left of that teenage boy who she saw looking back and she knows…………………………..he’s got a ticket to ride
Now green was her favorite color but that day it looked so sad and as his body fell away she saw him blow a kiss and she saw him looking back a teenage boy that will never be coming back home except in.. her dreams

Now that box of letters tied with little bows and all those x’s and o’s are a few feet below the ground underneath a great big tree with a ribbon speaking for those who fought to be free

Now Green was her favorite color but that day it looked so sad

My grandmother had a boyfriend kille din the Vietnam war

War is horrible and the draft killed many young men who werent ready to die