What If It's Us | Teen Ink

What If It's Us

By writingisperplexing SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
writingisperplexing SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

You’re walking past the post office when a pair of identical twin men in matching rompers and handlebar mustaches step out. You’re amazed by the bizarre tendencies of New Yorkers; but the boy watching at the entrance is simply dumbfounded. You laugh and he looks at you with a smile- you didn’t expect him to be the cutest guy you’ve ever met. This is the opening scene from Chapter 1 in the meet-cute collaborative masterpiece between best friends Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera. From the New York Times best-selling authors of They Both Die At The End and Love, Simon comes the YA romance novel What If It’s Us. Released in early October, it’s already a huge favorite.

The novel takes place in the bustling city that never sleeps, New York City, where anything can happen, even finding the cute boy from the post office again. This is the case for Arthur Seuss, (sadly, not related to the Dr. Seuss) only in New York for the summer from Georgia, to be an intern at his mom’s law firm. Ben Alejo is a native New Yorker stuck in summer school, and also happens to be the attractive male from the post office getting rid of- or trying to-his ex-boyfriend’s things. When the two are split up during their introduction by an elaborate wedding proposal, it seems to be only a single encounter. Yet from Craigslist ads to web searches and posters, Arthur and Ben are brought together by the universe and budding romance begins. Of course it isn't easy; three failed first dates and the shadow of an ex boyfriend aren't the usual ingredients for a great start.

What If It’s Us is written from two perspectives, each penned by one of the authors (Adam as Ben and Becky as Arthur). From you will completely fall for Arthur and Ben just as I have. Unlike your classic love story, these two are so adorably quirky and you'll find yourself swooning. With Arthur being a Broadway fanatic and Ben writing his own fantasy novel, they don't seem to be your typical couple. Except with these characters, it feels just right. One of the elements I love about this book is the well rounded characters, and the non-cliche relationship that plays through the story. Their dynamic is what makes it so great; Ben’s laidback New Yorker attitude and Arthur's innocence and awe of the city balance out well.

Their romance definitely isn't rushed either, which commend the authors for accomplishing. Countless romance novels make everything seem so easy, and their characters are madly in love with each other a few chapters in.  Albertalli & Silvera take us through the process of them gradually falling in love, and I think the best part is that it's not all sunshine and rainbows. Just like real couples, they have rocky patches and their doubts toward the relationship. Arthur worries about Ben’s ex, Hudson, and Ben is haunted by the reminder that Arthur is only there for the summer. It portrays real conflicts and fears instead of magically being perfect all the time.

I admire the authenticity of What If It’s Us. The descriptions of New York were completely spot on and I should know, being a New Yorker. The subway stations, train delays, and commute times were so precise, I found myself nodding along with the descriptions, such as: “The train is going local since it's Saturday, which means we might be sitting tight for thirty minutes. Maybe forty or fifty minutes if someone has pissed off the MTA gods.”  Even the imagery of the city itself is amazingly accurate, such as this scene where Arthur and Ben are on a date in Union Square: “I spot a churro a food cart parked by the Best Buy across the street from the park." They make every setting so easy to imagine, it really puts readers in the scene.

The writing style in particular flows so well, you can hardly tell it's two different authors. In an interview with The Fandom, when Albertalli was asked about the collaborative experience, she said,  “So, especially in the beginning, not only were we each developing our own character’s voices, but I really had to get to know his character Ben, as well as my character, Arthur, because we were writing for two-thirds of the book, these boys are in each other's lives… So, you just have to nail that voice, and that requires so much back and forth.” Even when a chapter is being told from Ben's perspective, Arthur is the same character as he is when the chapter is from his own point of view. Nothing changes abruptly, which makes most of the characters well rounded and enjoyable.

As for the ending, I can only say it wasn't to be expected of the two queer YA novelists. Albertalli is well known for her comedic sweetness in Love, Simon while Silvera has a reputation for more difficult heartbreaks, found in one of his novels History Is All You Left Me. In other words, the ending had me in an odd sort of crying-laughing state as I ended the summer with the characters I grew to love.