Fahrenheit 451 | Teen Ink

Fahrenheit 451

By juliana28 BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
juliana28 BRONZE, Staten Island, New York

The work of science fiction, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury describes a dystopian society in the future in which books are illegal. Firefighters must burn them. The main character and protagonist Guy Montag, is a firefighter. However, after having a conversation with Clarisse McClellan, his next door neighbor, Guy starts to question the world he lives in. He begins to search for knowledge and he steals books. The book sheds light on technology taking over the human race, which is the main conflict. It is considered abnormal to be seen walking around in the neighborhood, admiring the outdoors. People connect with screens rather than each other. They miss out on genuine relationships with people.This connects to the plot because it causes Guy *spoilers ahead* to burn Beatty for trying to arrest him for stealing many books. This event leads him to ultimately escape his life and find people who share his beliefs about spreading knowledge to the oblivious people in his society*end of spoilers.*

An overall theme of the novel is not to take knowledge for granted. Knowledge is power. Books allowed people to have their own beliefs. Many people also lost interest in them because they payed more attention to their technology. It caused the society to have all of the same beliefs and made them comparable to mindless robots. A text-to-self connection I have is myself and others reliance on technology. I am guilty of watching a show on my phone rather than reading a good book. Although Bradbury’s ideas are extreme, it’s possible future generations could be so addicted to electronics that there is no need for any books.  His novel warns us to never let go of knowledge, like the dull people described in his story.

My favorite part of the story was when Guy burned his boss Beatty. The way Bradbury vividly portrayed Beatty made me despise the character and look forward to his demise. This scene was also was the most intriguing part of the book because it made me wonder how he would escape the authorities. It also made me question if he did escape what he would do next. I feel the book resolved itself well because the protagonist finally was able to interact with survivors of the chaos just like him. He was finally able to access knowledge without hiding it from other people. Lastly, I chose this book because I heard that it was a powerful dystopian book from my peers. I was interested in the burning of books and the story Bradbury would depict.