New Truths | Teen Ink

New Truths

August 6, 2022
By alinaxu BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey
alinaxu BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Discovering something new about yourself may be frightening, especially if you deny it. In Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, written by Benjamin Alire Sáenz, the author touches on the beauty and terror of not understanding oneself, as well as the world, fully. This beautifully philosophical book tells the story of two Mexican-American teens, one of which was the most influential character in the story. Dante Quintana helped the main character, Aristotle Mendoza, throughout the book, whether purposeful or not. Without him, Aristotle’s social life, communication skills, and true identity would have never been found.

Until Dante came into Ari’s life, he had enjoyed being alone. When Dante moved away to Chicago for the next school term, he felt as if a piece of him had left as well. After a phone call between the two, Ari felt “a little sad. And a little happy” (213 Sáenz) from hearing Dante. He had always been comfortable being alone and staying alone, however Dante changed that and helped him realize that having a friend can be helpful as well as enjoyable. Seeing that Dante had a wild social life in Chicago, he was inspired to do the same and sought out more social interactions, specifically with Illeana, a girl that he was interested in at the time. He had never even considered the possibility of having a partner, best friend, or social life before he met someone that he could talk and relate to.

Because Ari had a quiet social life, he had less chances to talk to people, therefore his communication skills were mediocre. When he had first met Dante, he would come up with rules about what they shouldn’t talk about, including the car crash. However, as Dante started writing more and more letters, he felt more comfortable with sensitive subjects. Dante’s letters expanded his thinking and helped him reach out and send his own letters as well. The fact that Ari’s
communication progressed throughout the book, also led his parents to feel more comfortable with talking to him about their own sensitive topics.

The car crash that Ari experienced helped find his own identity. He had saved Dante from a possibly fatal accident, telling the doctor, “I didn’t do it on purpose ... I don't even remember diving toward him ... It was just a reflex” (121). The doctor was skeptical, he said, “I know your kind, Ari. I’m onto you” (122). This suggests that the doctor knew something that Ari didn’t realize at the time. The same situation turned up with Ari’s parents as well. His father suggests, “Without even thinking you dove across the street and shoved Dante out of the way of a moving car? I think you couldn’t stand the thought of losing him” (348). When he said that out loud, it evoked something that Ari hid inside him, something that he laughed off and denied. He always knew he was different, he just didn’t like that thought. Because of the car crash and Dante, Ari was able to discover his emotions and face them with the help of others.

Without Dante, Ari might not have ever uncovered his suppressed emotions, learned to communicate well with others, or found that a social life would not be so bad. Meeting Dante was the best thing that could have happened to Ari, even if his legs experienced pain because of it. Although these two characters had experienced much trauma together, it benefited them both in the end and uncovered their true selves together.