The Only Jane Eyre | Teen Ink

The Only Jane Eyre

By Bee388 BRONZE, Medina, Washington
Bee388 BRONZE, Medina, Washington

"Sometimes I feel like giving up, but I just can't, it isn't in my blood." - In My Blood, Shawn Mendes

Jane Eyre, a gothic novel written by Charlotte Bronte during the Victorian era, details the journey of a young girl, Jane, as she uncovers her destiny after being orphaned by the deaths of her aunt and uncle, her only living relatives. Having only herself and a few close friends, Jane manages to receive a good education, obtain a decent job, and find where she belongs. Jane’s story explores the power that an individual holds: standing up to injustices, advocating for one’s beliefs, firmly rejecting excessive demands, and subverting typical Victorian womanhood notions.

At the beginning of her story, Jane is portrayed as the scapegoat for troubles in her aunt's family. Her aunt, Mrs. Reed, resents having to take care of her, so she casts Jane away to school, telling Jane that she has "a bad character, a deceitful disposition" (Bronte 37). Mrs. Reed’s previous evil deeds prove her villainous nature, including locking Jane in the red room when she has done nothing wrong and is scared to death. Jane refutes: "How dare I, Mrs. Reed? How dare I? Because it is the truth. You think I have no feelings, and that I can do without one bit of love or kindness, but I cannot live so: and you have no pity" (36). Here, Jane shows trivial power standing in front of influential adults, proving that she won't let injustices stand in her way. By not shrinking back when facing ignorant people, Jane is courageous and righteous as she subverts typical Victorian womanhood notions being active and independent instead of silent and conforming, leaving Mrs. Reed baffled at her sudden hostility.

Additionally, even when faced with powerful male characters, Jane displayed confidence and calmness. After she realizes she wants to change jobs, Jane advertises and gets a job as a governess in a good family, she soon falls in love with its owner, Mr. Rochester. As the story progresses, Rochester reveals his love for Jane as well, and the couple decides to get married. However, as they are about to become husband and wife, Mr. Rochester reveals that he already has a wife. Nonetheless, he begged Jane to understand as he was “tricked” into marrying Bertha for money as an arrangement his father made. Now, she turned into a lunatic that Mr. Rochester is exasperated living with and he wonders if he could ever find the love of his life. Despite all the pleading from Mr. Rochester, Jane firmly decides as she says goodbye to him: "I am going, sir,” and continues after Mr. Rochester begged her to stay to be his “comforter” and “rescuer”: “What unutterable pathos are in his voice! How hard it was to reiterate firmly, ‘I am going’" (324). This statement displays Jane’s firm resolution to leave, even though she is clearly emotionally moved by Rochester’s pleadings. Even when Mr. Rochester appears deeply broken and asks again whether Jane will entirely dismiss and abandon him, Jane determinedly reiterates, "I am going.” Jane stays true to herself with unmovable determination as she refuses to succumb to the temptation of the "unutterable pathos in his voice" and the sympathy she feels for the "hard(ships)" he endures. Jane’s rational choice to leave Mr. Rochester, even when it is emotionally challenging, shows that she overcomes the traditional gender roles and expectations of her time. Not allowing a strong male to dominate her or manipulate her choices shows great courage in a time when a woman had little control over her own destiny.

Furthermore, Jane advocates for herself, displays honest moral values, and expresses gratitude when she leaves Mr. Rochester and encounters another good family willing to take her in. St. John, a pastor from that good family, asks her hand in marriage soon after her arrival. He would like her to accompany him to India, saying it would be dishonorable if she didn't marry him as she is disobeying the will of God. Jane stays true to her values and stands up for herself when she replies, "There is no dishonour; no breach of promise, no desertion in the case. I am not under the slightest obligation to go to India: especially with strangers" (421). Through her specific reasoning, that she doesn't know St. John well, and that she doesn’t love him, she is under no "obligation" to marry him and go to India. Displaying her prudent and honest thought, as she lives by her own values, rather than succumbing to gender expectations based on the needs and wants of the family patriarch.

Finally, Jane shows true strength and resolve in her final days apart from Mr. Rochester, realizing that he is the one with whom she truly belongs: "I broke from St. John, who had followed and would have detained me. It was my time to assume ascendancy. My powers were in play, and in force" (427). After Jane realizes that she belongs with Mr. Rochester, she detaches herself from St. John and his irrational demands. Even though St. John “would have detained” Jane, she is certain enough that she realized she is unstoppable as her “powers were in play, and in force.”

Jane’s obstacles do not stop once she makes up her mind about her true destiny. When she leaves St. John’s family and returns to Thornfield to find Mr. Rochester, she discovers that Thornfield was burned down and in ruins. Devastated, she asks around and discovers that Mr. Rochester has moved to a new place, Ferndean. She goes there and finds that Mr. Rochester is very feeble and weak with injuries from the fire that his wife Bertha Mason set to burn down Thornfield. With his left arm and sight lost, Mr. Rochester doesn’t think he is worthy of Jane anymore and says, “‘I am no better than the old lightning-struck chestnut tree in Thornfield orchard,’ he remarked ere long. ‘And what right would that ruin have to bid a budding woodbine cover its decay with freshness?’” (678). By describing himself as “the old lightning-struck chestnut tree,” Rochester refers to the age gap between him and Jane, whereas Jane is “a budding woodbine.” Moreover, something “lightning-struck” is burned or destroyed, while something “budding” is new and fresh, just coming to life, describing his decrepit state while Jane is full of life. Therefore, by contrasting their ages, he suggests that he is not worthy of Jane’s love. However, with Jane’s certainty of the decision and her powers that she mentioned in an earlier conversation with Mr. Rochester after she returns: “I told you I am independent, sir, as well as rich: I am my own mistress” (663). Making the point clear that she has control over her own life and actions, determined that her future is with Mr. Rochester.

In conclusion, Jane subverts notions of ideal Victorian womanhood by standing her ground as she faces injustices, cruel temptations, and excessive demands. Even if Jane has minimal power in the face of society, she never recedes. Despite having almost, a two-hundred-year history, Jane Eyre is still relevant today as it explores the strong independence that a woman possesses and the power that she has over her own fate.

Jane Eyre is such a memorable book that leaves readers thinking about many things.