In Cold Blood: A Review | Teen Ink

In Cold Blood: A Review

By abriellayu SILVER, Freehold, New Jersey
abriellayu SILVER, Freehold, New Jersey

In Cold Blood is a novel written by Truman Capote that pieces together the murder of the Clutter family. The book was published in 1965 and recounts the chaotic investigation that ultimately led to the execution of the murderers.

After four members of a well-known and respected family are murdered, the people of Holcomb, Kansas are on edge as investigators are looking into possible suspects. The story also explores the murderers' point-of-view, as they attempt to evade capture and continue their normal lives while police are on the hunt for killers they believe reside in their close-knit town. 

Capote uses emotion to retell this story. While he had no personal connection to the story, Capote is able to draw raw emotion so readers can empathize with the fear, sadness, and confusion the people of Holcomb were feeling as well as the despair the detectives had for not being able to track the killers. 

In Cold Blood expresses the emotions of all who were affected by the murder as well as perfectly retelling the tragic story from the despair of the killers not being captured to the relief of their execution. It also takes a deep dive into the mental disorders and deranged thoughts Richard Eugene Hickock and Perry Edward Smith, the murderers of the Clutter family, had. The story does not hesitate to explore sensitive topics such as death, sexual harassment, mental health, and abuse. By sharing the emotions of the town and the murderers, Capote readers are able to empathize with the residents of Holcomb and have a deeper understanding of the thoughts within the killers’ minds. 

Many readers admire Capote’s style of dual perspective and how readers are able to step into the minds of the killers themselves and hear their thoughts about their actions. His emphasis on the mentality of the murderers and the controversy behind capital punishment also contribute to the popularity of this novel, making it one of the most well-known true crime novels. 

In conclusion, In Cold Blood opens the minds of readers as Capote uncovers the story of a tragic event that befell the small city of Holcomb, Kansas. The detailed recount utilizes emotion as a way of retelling and further entices readers as he explores the psychotic minds of two career criminals. 

In Cold Blood was a book that I really enjoyed reading. Not only does it give the perspective of the killers' minds but it also explores the mental disorders they had. As a person who is interested in psychology on the mentally disabled, this book was one I could not put down.