Heartwarming and Relatable Journeys: A 'Little Women' Review | Teen Ink

Heartwarming and Relatable Journeys: A 'Little Women' Review

January 1, 2024
By divyaj123 GOLD, Roslyn Heights, New York
divyaj123 GOLD, Roslyn Heights, New York
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I recommend the novel Little Women by Louisa Alcott because it explores several different themes throughout the book that a young reader should be exposed to. Addressing complex topics such as grief, poverty, and gender norms, the book connects depth with readability, making it engaging. Watching the growth and development of the sisters: Jo, Meg, Amy, and Beth is endearing and shows us readers how different they are. Despite their unique qualities, the sisters are shown realistically, each sister having imperfections discussed openly.  Meg embodies motherly instincts,  Jo challenged the expectations around her, Beth was selfless, despite following societal normalities, and Amy was the youngest: the most energetic and artistic sister. Set in the 1860s, the sisters collectively yearn to determine the line between personal need and familial duty. Through their journeys, readers witness a profound exploration of self-discovery and the pursuit of happiness.

In Part 1 of "Little Women," Beth's death serves as a catalyst for the sisters' self-discovery. The impact of Beth’s death spreads through the March household, prompting each sister to confront and learn more about themselves. Amy specifically faces a moment of self-reflection when her selfishness is exposed in a classroom incident involving limes. The lesson is reinforced when she prioritizes a turquoise ring over Beth's well-being. Meg struggles with her materialistic tendencies and desire to escape poverty, which she attempts to conceal from her family. Jo expresses to her mother, Marmee, how angry she feels with life and hears the response: "I am angry nearly every day of my life”. This quote holds a lot of meaning while expressing to Jo that you can still be angry and control it, that is a part of maturing. These individual struggles contribute to the sisters' collective growth, providing valuable lessons for young readers. 

In the second part of "Little Women," the lives of the March sisters began to take the form of adulthood. Meg, the eldest, grapples with the challenges and rewards of married life, offering readers insight into the complexity of relationships and societal expectations of a wife. Jo, the spirited and independent writer, continues her quest for self-discovery, facing various trials on her path to fulfillment. Amy's visit to Europe provides her with a glimpse into a new world, one that contains different forms of culture. She explores a new life of love after reconnecting with Laurie. Beth's presence, though physically absent, continues to cast a gentle but influential shadow, guiding her sisters through the decisions they make in their lives. As romantic relationships mature and the sisters navigate adulthood, the lessons learned in Part 1 serve as stepping stones, shaping their responses to the world around them.

"Little Women" serves as a novel that, through its characters going from adolescence to adulthood, resonates with its young readers.  Louisa May Alcott offers reflections on love, loss, ambition, and societal expectations. The novel's appeal lies in its relatability to readers of all ages, providing valuable lessons about self-discovery, resilience, and the enduring bonds of sisterhood. As the March sisters confront the challenges and joys of life, their stories become a mirror and reflect what is universally experienced. "Little Women" is not just a tale of four sisters in the 19th century but an exploration of all humans, making it a compelling read for generations to come.


The author's comments:

This is a review of Little Women and it explores how young readers should be exposed to this kind of representation.