That Was Then, This Is Now | Teen Ink

That Was Then, This Is Now MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

My friend kept urging me to read That Was Then, This Is Now. When I finally decided to give it a try, I discovered it is one of the best books I've ever read. I recommend it to any teenager who loves a book that keeps you guessing.

Hinton writes about two 16-year-olds struggling with the issues of growing up and growing apart in a city where the Socs and Greasers are rival gangs. Bryon and Mark, best friends since childhood, have to deal with violence, drugs, drinking, girls, and death. Bryon is disturbed by the violence, while Mark thinks of it as just life on the street. Their decisions affect the rest of their lives.

This interesting novel grabbed my attention as it followed these two boys growing up in a rough world. After reading it, I realized that you must learn from your mistakes and not live in the past. Many of the issues they dealt with are the same we all struggle with. I hope you will enjoy this book as much as I did.

i love this !

songofheaven said...
I love this book! S.E. Hinton is a great author. I love her in-depth accounts of the 1960's, as told from a person with a great perspective of Oklahoma.