Emma | Teen Ink

Emma MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Jane Austen wrote Emma in 1816, and many movies have been based on it, including"Clueless."

Emma Woodhouse is an unusual and very imaginativeheroine. The story begins with her governess having recently married, thanks toEmma's matchmaking. Emma enjoys the triumph of her match, but is lonely withoutthe woman who was like a mother to her, and decides she needs to find some newentertainment.

Miss Harriet Smith is her new "victim," and theykeep each other's company quite well. Then Emma decides that Harriet would besuitable for Mr. Elton. Even though Harriet is an orphan and her family'sbackground unknown, Emma wants to "improve her" for a higher socialstatus. Harriet enjoys all the transformations and improvements, but her heart isalready set on someone. When he proposes, that coupling, disapproved of by Emma,quickly dissolves with a letter of refusal composed with assistance from thematchmaker herself. Later we find out Mr. Elton has feelings for someone else,and everything backfires on Emma.

Emma is the first book I read by JaneAusten, and I loved it. She has a way with words that makes the story apage-turner - you just have to find out what trouble or scheme Emma isgetting herself into.

Emma is a great romance. The only thing Ididn't like was remembering the characters' problems and their relationshipswith Emma. Overall, though, it's a great story.

i love this !

AzizaManga BRONZE, Can&#39t Say, Oklahoma

"It's true what they say, you can't go wrong with pudding."

I'll try to read this.