Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City by Kirsten Miller | Teen Ink

Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City by Kirsten Miller

By ReadingFanatic SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri
ReadingFanatic SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. Do you know, in nine hundred years of time and space I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important before.”

Meet Kiki Strike: A black clad, Vespa Riding, Coffee drinking Girl Scout. To 12 year old Ananka Fishbein, Mysterious is Kiki's middle name.

After Ananka, on a dismal winter day finds a sinkhole in a nearby park in New York City, her boring life turns upside when she finds a small room inside the whole. Little does she know she had found the Shadow City; a network of tunnels that spread all through Manhattan.

After meeting Kiki Strike she is still quite curious about her. Kiki dressed up as a Girl Scout, tells Ananka that she has to go "incognito" as a Girl Scout.

Her and the curious Ananka go to three meetings where in each one she meets someone different. Meet Luz, a terrific engineer, DeeDee, a fantastic chemist, Betty, a master in disguise, and Oona, the best forger in Manhatten. Together with she and Kiki combine the Irregulars, a group of girls to take over the Shadow City, and keep it from evil.

It's harder then it looks, finding skeletons, locked rooms, and man eating rats, it seems to Ananka that Kiki gets crabbier every single day.

After a terrifing incident involving gold, and DeeDee falling in a miscaculated explosion, Kiki disappears. Now the Irregulars are wondering is Kiki a terrible villain, or a good citizen?

I was on the edge of my seat while reading this. Miller does a fantastic job at this, that really does make you wonder. It has everything humor, mystery, sadness, and mostly terror.

After reading the thrilling novel I went to her website, and I was delightly surprised that, like Kiki, there is hardly ANYTHING about her on the site. There's stuff about underground cities, the Irregulars, and a wonderful short story there written by Miller called the Columbia Conspiracy. The best part; her blog posts. She writes about everything, from ghost, giant squid, to helpful hints.

Overall I deeply suggest that you DO read this former Truman Award Nominee, so you can go on the ride of adventure, friendship, and underground New York.

RipponLeaEnergise BRONZE, Clayton, Other

"how wonderful it is that nobody has to wait a single moment before starting to improve the world"

Anne Frank

ive read both books and i want to read more. there really good and i was also on the edge of my seat. i even yelled at the book. but really good view of the book.