Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen | Teen Ink

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen

By sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire
sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi

I must admit that when I first picked up this book, my sole motivation to read it was that I should, because it was a classic, and one can’t go through life without reading such famous literature as this. I was completely ignorant to the beauty of the story that lay within.

Are you independent-minded? Do your parents embarrass you? If so, you hold much in common with Miss. Elizabeth Bennet. Elizabeth is an intelligent, outspoken young woman when wealthy Mr. Bingley arrives in town with a party of his friends. Mr. Bingely is amiable and polite, and invites all the ladies of the area to a ball in his home so that everyone can become acquainted. Elizabeth immediately takes a strong disliking to Bingley’s aloof friend Mr. Darcy, who acts proud, superior, and socially introverted. Her disgust is only fed by the terrible rumors of him that circulate through the neighborhood. Darcy unexpectedly confesses his love for Elizabeth, and she replies with bitter words and accusations. But before long, Elizabeth unwillingly starts to fall in love herself.

This novel is a touching love story, and I am very glad that I have read it. I recommend this to absolutely anyone. Just one hint: Don’t follow my lead and read this novel because you should; but read it because the story will undoubtedly draw you in and capture your heart.

Firebolt said...
Firebolt, New Delhi, Other

"I don't go looking for trouble,trouble usually finds me!" :P ;) :D

I'm talking about the fact that stephanie meyer got the idea for twilight from  pride and prejudice ..
gosh,I always knew it was unoriginal!!,speaking of which,check out the cover of 'words to live by' by C.S.Lewis......
great artice,by the way! I love both the book and th movie! Elizabeth bennet forever :)

Firebolt said...
Firebolt, New Delhi, Other

is that really true?

-Ghandi

Thanks, I agree with you that this is a book to be read more than once.  It took me a few chapters to get adjusted to the old english language, so I missed a lot of things in the begining.

S.S.Y. GOLD said...
S.S.Y. GOLD, Toronto, Other

"After all, tomorrow is another day" -- Scarlett O'Hara

"It is the east, and Juliet is the sun!" -- Romeo

"I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it." -- Stephen Leacock

You were right to say that Elizabeth is a very relatable character, despite that she is a character from more than a hundred years ago. I read this book three times. And each time I got something new from it. Mainly because it was quite a difficult piece to read, especially when I first read it when I was in grade seven...The wonderful story, nevertheless. And a wonderful review too!

-Ghandi

Great!  I'm glad my piece was a motivation for you!

-Ghandi

Great I'll have to check it out!  I've seen that book, but I was skeptical that it might be kind of lame, or make a joke out of a classic.  Thanks for letting me know it's good, though.

TygerShore SILVER, Coquitlam, BC, Other

"It's not what you say, it's what you do."

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." ~Anaïs Nin

If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~To"

Nice review!  Seen the movie a few times before but have never actually read the book.  Your review has made me want to make a trip to the library and borrow the book so I may be able to fully appreciate what a work of art it is.

XCLover GOLD said...
XCLover GOLD, Sandpoint, Idaho

"I know I run like a girl, try and keep up!" ~Anon
"You only ever grow as a human being if you are outside your comfort zone." ~Percy Cerutti
"The hug is incomplete without you :3" NinjaMan

It's one of my goals this summer to finally actually read the whole book! I love the story but have just never managed to finish the book.

I really enjoyed reading this review, and it motivated me to begin reading Pride and Prejudice again. Also, if you haven't read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, it is a decently entertaining read. It's pretty much the same story with a few good one liners slid into the dialogue and the sisters are zombie slayers.

-Ghandi

Did you know that Stephanie Myer got ideas from Pride and Prejudice for Twilight?

-Ghandi

Really?  That's great!  I'll have to check into that :)

-Ghandi

Thank you!

respecturself7 SILVER, Medina, New York

There is a natural law in life to settle.....I broke that law ~Katherine Hepburn
Love, Is the severest of mental diseases~U.K.
Spinning always spinning....when life puts me down I'll give you a call~respecturself7

I know exactly what you mean. I've begun reading many classics with the hopes of better acquainting myself with the world of English literature only to find that the characters and story itself pulled me in and captivated me to such an extent that I've read at least a classic every few months since. They provide me with hours of sheer enjoyment as well as being an educational read. Very accurate portrayal of one of Jane Austins best and most loved works. 

isabel18 said...
The movie is really good too! I just bought it and I love it!!

temerick BRONZE, Warwick, New York

"Life is my college."

I read it with the same idea- it must be considered a classic for a reason. Once I got into the language, I was captivated. Great story and Elizabeth is definitely one of my favorite literary characters. Intelligent, witty and strong willed. My kinda woman. :)

isabel18 said...

I loved this book!!!!!!

My older sister read it and convinced me to read it as well! It is now one of my favorite books! Great Article!!

IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

"As long as there is open road, the familiar has the most formidable competitor." - Anonymous

I hate when people do that! I've gotten 2 stars on one of my articles and 1 star on another (the article that got 1 star was also voted #1 in its category - funny, huh?)! People do that just to be mean. It's ridiculous. It doesn't mean your article deserved it. Check out my article The Eye of the Beholder and my poem Every Day please, and see if they deserve less than 2 stars! 

IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

I love this book so much, and I can agree with you on all points. It's amazing how, after 200 years, we all can still relate to Lizzy Bennet and her love and family! :) Great article! C:

-Ghandi

Glad to hear it!  And Thank you!

G.M.Palacio SILVER, Bayamon, Other

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decide to see beyond the imperfections.

Nice review! Now I really want to read this book. I give you five stars because!!!

-Ghandi

I'd really appreciate it if whoever gave me one star on this could explain why.