The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 587 comments.


on Jan. 6 2012 at 6:57 pm
Pamplemousse SILVER, Gilbert, Arizona
7 articles 1 photo 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To be happy, Don't do whatever you like, Like whatever you do" -James Barrie (author of Peter Pan)

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I have read this book countless times and it continues to amaze me. The symbolism of Jonas's society devoid of differentiation, choice or even color shows us the importance of all those things in life. Also, the enlightenment Jonas gained about family and love professs a simple beauty. I love this book and I think that everyone should read it. As for the clifhanger ending, there's more books in the series and your also have imagination to carry you. People are all about instant gratification and having everything be given to them nowadays, but its okay to just let yourself wonder and to have some intrigue in a book about what happens after.

on Jan. 6 2012 at 6:46 pm
Distant_Freedom DIAMOND, Nowhere, Pennsylvania
50 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

I couldn't agree with the reviewer more, especially about the ending. It just left off, and it was very unclear. The entire novel was flat. There were hardly any descriptions, and it just flashed around. I certainly would not recommend this.

on Jan. 6 2012 at 2:54 pm
writereadlove GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
14 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you'll not be forgotten
When you are old and rotten;
Write something worth the reading,
Or do something worth the writing."
--Benjamin Franklin

I read this book last year in school and while it's not one of my favorites, I did find it intriguing. I liked the dystopian society, but not the ending. I'm not usually a fan of cliffhangers. :P

on Jan. 6 2012 at 12:42 pm
I totally agree with you. I was always reluctant to read this book but when my school assigned it and I was forced to read it, i fell in love. I fell in love with Jonas, Gabriel, and this book!! This book it amazing and always kept me wondering.

half.note said...
on Jan. 6 2012 at 12:08 pm
half.note, Edmonton, Alberta
0 articles 0 photos 102 comments
I completely DISAGREE! I won this book in a draw at a library this summer and finally got around to reading it. That's one choice I'll never regret! Though lacking the modern violence and non-stop action we come to expect, I thought it was great. It was kind of laid-back, but always kept you wondering. Everything was subtle yet thrilling. I really enjoyed the plot, the characters, and the message. It's an amazing dystopian novel that was around even before the Hunger Games. I do realize that Release actually being death was kind of predictable, but I still love how Jonas reacted. He had no idea before and then he began to understand the full ramifications of it. Especially when Gabe was going to be Released. The predictabillity makes it great because even though we can kind of predict the plot, the innocence and ingorance of the characters makes it interesting. If what happened next was a surprise to you as well as the character, it wouldn't be able to show in what way the new society in the book opresses the people. Anyway, if you hated this book, you obviously just don't like to read deep, thoughtful masterpieces like this. No wonder it won the John Newbery Medal!

Wordfisher said...
on Dec. 28 2011 at 1:25 pm
Wordfisher, Vancouver, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments
Oh my goodness, thank you so much for the titles. I am going to my library soon and I will check them out!

Wordfisher said...
on Dec. 28 2011 at 1:24 pm
Wordfisher, Vancouver, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments
What are they called? I would love to read them!

Wordfisher said...
on Dec. 28 2011 at 1:23 pm
Wordfisher, Vancouver, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments
Same here, this was one of my favorite books ever. It did leave me hanging, but that's sorta why I liked it.

pitt98 GOLD said...
on Dec. 28 2011 at 11:28 am
pitt98 GOLD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
10 articles 3 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's not the days in life we remember, rather the moments." 
- Walt Disney

Great comment, i agree with you.

on Dec. 24 2011 at 1:07 pm
Mothra7687 BRONZE, Mattawan, Michigan
2 articles 11 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't try to live your life in one day." - Howard Jones

I read this book a while back, and I honestly have to disagree with your point that this book is a terrible one. Its a great piece of liturature in my opinion, with a message that lies not in the action. It had me hooked throughout the entire story, and is much better than some other books I have read. this book is absolutely worth reading.

on Dec. 16 2011 at 11:56 pm
DarkMountain BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
4 articles 0 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
My eyes feel so heavy when the stars are calling me
- Join with us eternally -
I'm falling in deep trance and my powers are weakening
I'm falling in a world between dreams and reality
... I'm sailing away to undiscovered seas...
Oh time...

If you read this book solely for action and thrills, you WILL be disappointed (except in a few spots). As much as anything this book is a social commentary- its worth lies in the political, social, and humanitarian implications. If you are bored or confused while reading this book you are reading it wrong.

on Dec. 15 2011 at 7:26 pm
onedirectionlover GOLD, Hampton, Virginia, Virginia
16 articles 3 photos 37 comments
I read that book too, and it really wasn't that good.

Emerson BRONZE said...
on Dec. 15 2011 at 6:06 am
Emerson BRONZE, Fort Mill, South Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you wanna live big, Do it"

i put it on my top 5 as well.

Emerson BRONZE said...
on Dec. 15 2011 at 6:06 am
Emerson BRONZE, Fort Mill, South Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you wanna live big, Do it"

i read this book and i loved it. it has a lot of substance in it that many don't appreciat though... he has sequel books to this, read them and see if you like them, as i did.

 


on Dec. 13 2011 at 9:58 pm
AmbrehhhsArt BRONZE, Springfield, Illinois
2 articles 8 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
I live for the day where chickens may cross the road without their motives being questioned.

Honestly, I wasn't enthusiastic to read this book, but I'm glad I did. I agree, it has it's slow points but when it picks up, it's amazing. I love this book. It's honestly one of my favorite books.

on Dec. 13 2011 at 9:08 pm
WaffleManThing, Vallejo, California
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"just keep swimming..." by dory. :)

true that!

on Dec. 13 2011 at 9:07 pm
WaffleManThing, Vallejo, California
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"just keep swimming..." by dory. :)

did u like it though?

on Dec. 13 2011 at 9:04 pm
WaffleManThing, Vallejo, California
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"just keep swimming..." by dory. :)

this is a great book and u who does not think so! read the comments people loved this book i have it in my top 5 :)

Inadaze said...
on Dec. 2 2011 at 4:52 pm
Gathering blue and then The Messenger! And yes, there is sooo much more to the story:)

on Dec. 1 2011 at 10:59 pm
AFreeSpirit97 GOLD, Dallas, Oregon
11 articles 2 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words." -Elbert Hubbard

There's more to the story?? I never knew that! Which came after the Giver, first, Gathering Blue, or The Messenger?

Thanks for telling!