The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

hannahmunchy BRONZE, Williamstown, Massachusetts

"They say the sky's the limit, but there are footsteps on the moon"
"Dancing is like dreaming with your feet"

Are you kidding?! This book was incredible!!!! It is definitely one of my favorite books of all time. (see my profile). I loved it--the writing was phenomenal, and the story was the most creative, innovative, and moving that I have ever read. I strongly disagree with the author of this review.

inadaze said...
You MUST read the other two sequels. Gathering Blue and The Messenger. Ties it all up!

MargaretM.. said...
MargaretM.., Windsor, Iowa

There is a curve called Failure, a loop called Confusion, speed bumps called Friends, red lights called Enemies, caution lights called Family. You will have flats called Jobs. But, if you have a spare called Determination, an engine called Perseverance, insurance called Faith, a driver called Jesus, you will make it to a place called Success.

I LOVE THIS BOOk! We were assigned in school the cover l;ooks so boring for a 7th grader to read but i loved it.It looks boring but you have to concentrate or yoou'll get confused.It about a world where it has never seen snowed and  everybody sees in black and white and they don't make their own choices.Except the giver who sees color and knows the knowledge of the world, which is the job the main charcater is assigned.

TheInvisibleGirl BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

The price we pay for love is loss
-Next to Normal

I have to say that I completely disagree with your opinion.  Of course, everyone does get their own opinion, but I think that you had to broaden your imagination and views to be able to get the book deply enough to like it.

ALthough I did hate the ending, but I kinda loved it.  I just feel like Lowry was done wrting it and wanted it to be over by then.

Gathering Blue the sequel (maybe the prequel) was so amazing though!

writer101 BRONZE, Shippensburg, Pennsylvania

Slowly but shurly.

I read this book as part of a class.To understand it you have to dig deeper in to the meaning of the book.Like any good book you read the author does not just tell you what it is about you have to figure the meaning behind the book yourself.I liked the book and found that it had manny meanings behind it.

my.freedom.lies.in.free.verse PLATINUM, Tosa, Wisconsin

"I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into a void, and that oblivion is inevitable... and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you." Augustus Waters

I couldn't disagree more with this review. This is one of my favorite books. You were disappointed because you didn't understand the undrelying messages and the puzzling ideas contained in The Giver's pages. You just don't appreciate Lois Lowry's BEAUTIFUL writing. Yes, the end is dissatisfying, but that's because it isn't written word for word. You get to interpret what happens to Jonas.

Wordscantsay BRONZE, Yuma, Arizona
1 article 1 photo 74 comments

When she was just a girl she expected the world. But it flew away from her reach, so she ran away in her sleep...
- Coldplay

Really like this book!!!!Great job =]

sushiman555 said...
At first this book was boring but it got better, I just didn't understand some parts.  i absolutely hate the ending

Mike said...
Distopian society not utopian

this book was creepy in so many ways

Jackie.C BRONZE, Weston, Massachusetts
I wholeheartedly disagree with this disappointed review. The Giver is about the dangers of a Utopian society, how to love, how to feel. Personally, The Giver is my favorite book of all time. It's an amazing story and I really advise that if you found it disappointing or confusing the first time around, read it a second or even a third like I did.

Afra- SILVER said...
Afra- SILVER, Colombo, Other

Even when the sun sets the moon will rise.

The giver book is a very emotional story. Thoguh I read it two or three years back I still remember it. =) Yes, you do need to read it really slow but in the end this book is very sad and maybe thats one reason some people find it dissapointing. I at first felt it to be suckish, but tehn when i thought back to the events i began to see the idea more clearly. The ending was way too cliffhangerish for and yes i do need to read the sequeals. I still wonder what happened to Jonas and the baby. =(

Hannibal_the_Vegetarian_Cannibal SILVER, A Nice Place In, Virginia

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain." ~Anonymous

"For he loved her, as you can only love someone who is an echo of yourself in your time of deepest sorrow." ~ Orson Scott Card

There are also several sequals, though not about Jonas. But I read Gathering Blue, and the ending of that gave you an idea about what happend to Jonas.

I can see why you say this, especially if you like horror, action-adventure, or thrillers. This book is more of an emotional story, sort of an examination of the way humankind restricts themselves. It's a very colorless and bleak novel, which is another reason some people don't like it. But I think, to read this, you have to enjoy a slow-paced, more multi-layered story. Some people don't like stories like that, and I myself know how entertaining a good action story can be, but when you need a book to read slowly and savor, this is a good one for that. You can't take this story too fast, or you'll miss the beautiful depth and emotions Lowry has put into this book. At least, that's my opinion. Everyone has different genres that they like, and for some, it's this sort of stuff. I think that one should only read it if they're prepared to spend some time over it, instead of breeze through it like an action novel.

bookinatorTS said...
I agree, the Giver left me very frustrated and disappointed. Yes, the world that Lois Lowry created was cool, but a good ending wasn't there. Basicly all of my disappointment was because of the cliffhanger ending and a very predictable ending. 

Youallfail said...
I agree I liked this book. Jonas lived in a colorless, boring world where everyone was the same. That doesn't sound like a utopia to me! I wish Lois Lowry would have made the book end. Not end it with a cliff-hanger, that dissapointed me. I was so surprised when ever the book said they killed twins, and "relaesing" was killing people too. If I was Jonas I would have ran away also.

angelicanXdreamer GOLD, Richmond, Other
I strongly disagree with your perspective. The book is a beautiful story with an amazing metaphor, it describes the life that we are all doomed to have, in fear of pain and sadness. Jonas being chosen for the special job get all the happiness he deserves and dreamt of but must deal with all of the pain. The message is strong that sometimes people who believe in order and not risking any potential sadness will have a boring unnecessary life, because they won't be able to experience it. The book was designed to change lousy views on not taking chances in fear of loss, because in reality this way you lose so much more. This colorless world was a magical and transforming place to escape to though it wasn't "bright" and "vivid", it was nonetheless incredibly intriguing. 

sasha1996 GOLD said...
sasha1996 GOLD, Geneva New York, New York

if you think you can you can and if you think you cant you cant.

i had to read this book in 7th grade. im not a picky reader. i thought the book was okay. i liked the message but i would hate to live where jonas lives.

SpringAhead GOLD, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

"Don't call me crazy, it drives me nuts!"

~Anonymous

I can see where your coming from, especially if you enjoy action, adventure, or horror books. However the Giver is anything but mediocre, and predictable. it's defintely way more intricate and deep then your letting on, and because of it's plot is again, anything but predictable.

When I read it I was in sixth grade. I lived every minute of it though even though I didn't understand some lines. Whatever I didn't understand I asked about to be sure I followed. What I would suggest for you is to go to sparknotes or ask about the parts you didn't get, and maybe it'll give you some new insight about the book. 

LilEgg BRONZE said...
LilEgg BRONZE, Solothurn, Other

"Think of all the Beauty still left around you and be happy"

-Anne Frank

The book is really interesting actually and it's a series of books so you can't just read the Giver you have to read the other ones to understand everything.