A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer | Teen Ink

A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death. This book really makes you wonder how many other children suffer such abuse.

As his teachers and principal, neighbors, and even his father stand by and let the abuse happen, it makes you wonder what you would have done. This book is extremely well written. All of the gruesome details help you to visualize what he went through. There are more books in this series, and you'll want to read them all once you begin. This book is for mature readers only.

cheesepuffz said...
this was an amazingly touching book i read all of them in he series

Lilies BRONZE said...
Lilies BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey

"Reach for the stars, even if you have to stand on a cactus."
- Susan Longacre

This book was amazing.The most touching part was when Dave Peltzer started talking about his son.

shynazation said...
I have read the book and i loved it(in a non-sadistic way).  Until now, I still cannot imagine how cruel his mother could be and that he managed to survive all this while.  He is definitely strong and a good role models for everyone.

Maehym BRONZE said...
Maehym BRONZE, Jacksonville, North Carolina

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before" -Poe

"In her heart, though, she wondered, is anything remembered forever" -Ada in Cold Mountain

I did enjoy this review, and the book was very powerful in many ways. However, his principal and teachers are the ones that called the cops, so I don't think that you could say that they let the abuse slip by. Great review though. :)

xHellokittyfairyx BRONZE, Fortwayne, Indiana

Don't follow others go where the wind takes you

Its sad how evil people could be to their own children 

iluvnacho PLATINUM, Somewhere, Colorado

\"Find the beauty in the ugly\"-Jason Mraz 5-19-10
\"Be kinder than nessicary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.\" Unknown 11-29-10

Its soo sad. It makes you think. i wanted to help him, but then i realized he was in the book.

madygirl BRONZE, Surprise, Arizona

life isnt measured by how many breaths we take, but rather by how many moments take our breath away...

probably the most eye opening book i have ever read!

Valkeryie BRONZE, Okc, Oklahoma

I'm with you! No more child abuse!!

(Hear, Hear!)

Allure GOLD said...
Allure GOLD, Fort Worth, Texas

The only thing to fear is fear it slef

Yes I know that is what I said I would have told I cant just sit there and let myslef be abused or watch others be abused

Twilight said...
Allure,  If you were in David's place you would tell because it is such a drastic change for him and you used to love your mother and in a way you still love her.

Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

im the author of my life, unfortunately im writing in pen therefore i can't erase nothing about it.-by some crazy friend of mine

i feel the same way, i shed some tears, and at some points int eh story i was extremly angry,  I cant believe any mother could be heatless as she was.

DarkKnight BRONZE, Winston Salem, North Carolina

If at first you don't succeed, beat those who did senseless!

I think that this book was a real eye opener to child abuse. i can't believe she did all of that to her own son! David was strong to be  able to deal with the absolute torture he went through. when she stabbed him, i thought he was gonna finally get out of that **** house.  I think somebody should spread awareness about child abuse! If you're with me, reply to this post! Maybe we can make a big difference in the world.

GRRRRRRRR!!!!! How could someone make their child EAT cleaning chemicals?!! His mother was extremely psycho! I read this book a while ago and I wanted to cry with him. It gave me a sense of helplessness as he was beaten and when his mom yanked his arm out of its socket and when she stabbed him just made me want to kill her myself! It's sad that stuff like this is still happening. I say someone should make people more aware of child abuse! If you're with me, reply to this post!

HisAngel said...
I want to know what goes through your mind when you torture your own child. Its horid.

Sheehan2011 said...
who doesnt want to punch her. how could you do that to your flesh and blood... this is a tear jerker :'(

HisAngel said...
The book brought me to tears more than once. It made me want to punch his mother.

Valery5 said...
Valery5, Riverside, California

"What's bad for your heart is good for your art."

This book is really really good. Everyone should read it cuz what this little boy went throw is sadly still happening today.

shelterisland GOLD, Montclair, New Jersey

-Biting's excellent. It's like kissing only there's a winner."-Doctor Who, The Tardis

i know, that part was so gross... and the sad part was that that was probably one of the least terrible things that he went through during his childhood :'(

moorevicz21 said...

this book made me feel like i was going to throw up because of how repulsed i was by what an awful living thing th mother was. but the sequel made me sob even more.

starlight26 GOLD, Miramar, Florida

*life isnt about pretending to be something you're not. It about being who you are and finding someone
who loves every bit of it."

"Life's tradegy is that we get old too soon and wise too late"

This is a MUST READ biography!!!!!