A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer | Teen Ink

A Child Called ‘It’ By Dave Pelzer MAG

March 17, 2008
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Dave Pelzer's first book in this series is phenomenal. What actually happened to him as a child is hard to imagine. This was a number one New York Times bestseller for months and is an inspirational story.

David was renamed “It” by his evil mother. His childhood begins as the life everyone hopes for. He enjoyed visits to the zoo, lake trips with family, and being cuddled by his mom while listening to a great book. David's life drastically changed when he became a first-grader. His mother and father developed drinking problems. It's very hard to read about all the sadistic “games” his mother dreamed up.

When you read some of what happens, you'll wonder how anyone could even think of ­doing such things to their own child. Pelzer is a strong man to write about his childhood when he was almost beaten to death. This book really makes you wonder how many other children suffer such abuse.

As his teachers and principal, neighbors, and even his father stand by and let the abuse happen, it makes you wonder what you would have done. This book is extremely well written. All of the gruesome details help you to visualize what he went through. There are more books in this series, and you'll want to read them all once you begin. This book is for mature readers only.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 145 comments.


on Apr. 6 2010 at 7:45 pm
starlight26 GOLD, Miramar, Florida
11 articles 7 photos 174 comments

Favorite Quote:
*life isnt about pretending to be something you're not. It about being who you are and finding someone
who loves every bit of it."

"Life's tradegy is that we get old too soon and wise too late"

Such an inspiring book. It brought tears to my eyes.His mother's addiction to alchohol was a reason why she turned from caring mom to evil woman. It makes me think about all the  suffering in this world and this specific story. Severe tourture that caused one innocent child pain physically and emotionally. All this, happening in his very own "home"

toflyaway said...
on Mar. 31 2010 at 7:44 pm
toflyaway, Melbourne, Other
0 articles 0 photos 85 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You're Bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret, all the best people are" -Alice In Wonderland (2010)

This made me feel so bad inside, like the world was such a bad place. The things his mother put him through were so epically inhumane....

squeak BRONZE said...
on Mar. 31 2010 at 2:56 pm
squeak BRONZE, Redding, California
4 articles 1 photo 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you are true to love, love will be true to you. people are not evil just missjuided.

I cryed when i read this book, its one of my favs X) 

on Mar. 31 2010 at 5:59 am
taintedannex GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
15 articles 5 photos 166 comments

Favorite Quote:
The truth is that at some point, everyone's going to hurt you. You just have to decide who's worth the pain.

Some say having something to lose is what makes you vulnerable. I believe that having something to lose only makes you stronger.

I've read Chinese Cinderella - it's so sad, and your heart reaches out for Adeline. It's one of my favourites. A Child Called It is also breath-snatchingly so. I just don't understand how someone who would've once been that perfect fairy-tale, picture book mom could possibly become a woman who would burn her own son because as a kid, he was always just a little too loud. It really is a sensational book though, and it's amazing to see how far he's come.

Closed-In said...
on Mar. 9 2010 at 1:47 pm
Closed-In, Syracuse, New York
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
lOSER, POOP STAIN. N WUZ UP

i will be the 1st to say i cried at the end of this book this book is the best book i've ready through-out mt years and i have to say if there is people out there who did't ready you have to cuz its the best one yet

on Feb. 15 2010 at 9:33 am
SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 534 comments
Has anyone read the book Chinese Cinderella? That sounds like this, plus it's a true story, and i swear, my heart broke about halfway through and when I was done I wanted to throw up. Don't books like that just make you wanna listen to a good song?

Allure GOLD said...
on Feb. 15 2010 at 8:54 am
Allure GOLD, Fort Worth, Texas
15 articles 13 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
The only thing to fear is fear it slef

When reading this I cryed all threw the book. I cant understand why anyone would want to do this to anyone and it worse becuase it a child. I think if I was in his place I would have told. Or even if I was the dad or the brothers. How do you watch all that and say nothing. This was a story that makes you really think.

on Feb. 15 2010 at 1:48 am
BeckoningLovely GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
15 articles 1 photo 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I think our favorite quotes say more about us than the people we are quoting," John Green

"The Lovely Bones" (Alice Sebold, if you were wondering, it has also been remade into a movie very recently) is like that too...haunting and appalling but a wonderful book and story. It is really terrible what this person must've gone through, no one should ever be treated like that.

on Jan. 24 2010 at 1:34 pm
poetic_natural GOLD, Jefferson, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
"you know you're in love because you can't fall asleep, because reality is finally better than your dreams"

i totally agree....what he wen through was totally unbearable, how can someone do that to their child

bdekan said...
on Jan. 6 2010 at 10:28 am
where did dave pelzer go to college

*yesi* said...
on Jan. 5 2010 at 8:27 pm
WHEN I READ THIS BOOK IT MADE ME CRY I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW A PERENT CAN DOP THAT TO THERE KIDS THEY SHOULD TREAT THERE KIDS GOOD NOT BAD......

on Dec. 11 2009 at 12:36 pm
Sarah♥ SILVER, Milford, Connecticut
7 articles 0 photos 6 comments
This is a good review. I read this book when I was younger; it made me cry. You're right, it's hard to understand how a parent could treat their child like that.

on Dec. 11 2009 at 6:12 am
Dunkelheitstieg BRONZE, Baldwin, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 92 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The poet ranks far below the painter in the representation of visible things, and far below the musician in that of invisible things. Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?,"Leonardo da Vinci.

After reading this book, i couldn't eat hotdogs because of what happened in it.

Sunshineyday said...
on Oct. 28 2009 at 4:33 pm
Every time I think about this book, I feel a little bit cold inside. I almost wish I'd never read it, because when i remeber things I've read in it I shudder. It is a well written book, but it is raw, explicitly detailed and sensitive minds should opt not to read it. you review is good, but I most agree that it is only for VERY mature readers.

on Jul. 18 2009 at 4:15 am
RadioShower PLATINUM, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
23 articles 5 photos 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
Emo is imaginary - Gerard Way
Normalness leads to sadness -Phil Lester (AmazingPhil)

i've never finished the book i start crying a page into it. but from what i have read and head it was a very tuching book.

on May. 21 2009 at 5:05 pm
Jennie Haught, Forks, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
This is a really good review. I haven't read this book, but my friend has and she really liked it. I think im going to read it soon.

on Mar. 25 2009 at 10:04 pm
annkaykay2011 DIAMOND, Lansing, Michigan
75 articles 11 photos 137 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am who I am, sorry, no changes."

Its an amazing book with all the truth of the world and horrors it really has. P.S. Good Review, very straight to the point.

on Feb. 24 2009 at 11:46 pm
Taylor,Mata BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
keep in mind people cahnge,but the past doesnt,,

really is a sad book.

but very good.

blah said...
on Feb. 23 2009 at 3:52 pm
so sad but good book

Kyle said...
on Feb. 13 2009 at 1:55 am
I love this book. To me it was a very good book and the review was right on point.