My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult | Teen Ink

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult MAG

By bossgirlhana BRONZE, Algonac, Michigan
bossgirlhana BRONZE, Algonac, Michigan

"Light is to Happiness, as Darkness is to Hatred as to be in Love is to be blind."

-Myself

Anna and Kate are sisters and share a seemingly typical bond most of us can relate to. However, they also share a bond that creates a lifeline for Kate. From the age of three, Kate has suffered from a deadly form of cancer. The only chance of saving her was a transplant, but none of her family were a match. In a desperate attempt to save their daughter, her parents conceived Anna, a designed to be a match for treatments and transplants for Kate.

Anna continues to be a donor for her sister for 13 years until she makes a surprising decision: she files a lawsuit against her parents to liberate herself as Kate's donor. Her decision will nearly tear her family apart as they struggle to keep Kate alive.

I stumbled upon this novel at the time the movie adaption was released. Since I usually read the book before seeing a movie, I read a summary and had the ending spoiled. Nevertheless, I read the book. I'm still in disbelief at the ending.

In My Sister's Keeper, Picoult takes you on an emotional roller coaster. One minute you're seeing a happy family in a flashback and the next, we are in a hospital where Kate lies, close to death. We see the whole family suffer. Anna and her mother clash constantly, and you can't help feeling sympathy for them both as they struggle for Kate's sake.

Many of the scenes are played out dramatically and are what you would expect in real life. This book even changed my opinion about the important ethical issue of stem cell research. But still, after reading this parable, I cannot imagine how heartwrenching it would be to make a decision that could harm your sister.

I'm a big fan of Jodi Picoult so I decided to share my opinions on one of her most well known novels.

GloryV said...
I think this book is a really inspiring book. When I was little, I used to read the book and watch the movie with my sister.
The reasons why I like this book is because one of the characters have a disease, or have cancer.
I like books that have characters like that because it makes the book more interesting and there's more emotion to the book and you feel a lot of things you usually don't feel when reading a book or watching a movie.
There are some parts where it's disturbing, but mainly, the book is about family and loved ones.
You treat them well, and you get treated well too.
The thing is, the mom wants her other daughter to give away body parts, kidneys, or other stuff from her body to give to her sister to keep her alive.
Her daughter sues her mother, so her mother cannot use her to help her sister.
She loves her sister very much, but she can't handle her mom just using her for the past about 11 years of her life.

cat15 said...
I thought some parts were okay, others good, some downright bad. I thought that Sara's monologues were really well - written and true, but that the entire Julia/ Campbell thing was completely unnecessary and ridiculous. 

elarebadaxe SILVER, Portage, Michigan

OCCUPY MORDOR: because one ring shouldn't be allowed to rule them all.

Excelent review!  I loved how you explained enough of the book to catch the reader's attention, but left out the best details for the reader to figure out on their own.  Try to watch out for suttle grammatical mistakes, as those can really take away a lot from your work.  This really made me want to read the book, and I have already read it before!  

KatsK DIAMOND said...
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

Good review. This book is one of my favorites. I must say, I feel like I can connect to the book because my sister and I have that always-linked bond, to the point where it almost parallels Anna-and-Kate's. It really is a fabulous book.

KatsK DIAMOND said...
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

~Hans Hofmann
~Ray Bradbury

IrishWriter SILVER, Sdfddas, Other
Nice review! I loved the book too but did anyone think that sometimes Picoult seemed to be using bad language for the sake of it or am I just too PG haha

Wordscantsay BRONZE, Yuma, Arizona
1 article 1 photo 74 comments

When she was just a girl she expected the world. But it flew away from her reach, so she ran away in her sleep...
- Coldplay

very good review =]

sasha1996 GOLD said...
sasha1996 GOLD, Geneva New York, New York

if you think you can you can and if you think you cant you cant.

i read this book two years ago and it was excellent and i almost cried. i got it for a book reort thet i had to do for an english assighnment in 6th grade. then i got the movie and the movie wasnt bad but i really perfer books to movies