Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie | Teen Ink

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

By rocketfuel BRONZE, Nonthaburi, Other
rocketfuel BRONZE, Nonthaburi, Other

When Life gives you lemons... Take them, never refuse free stuff! XP

Christie's Death on the Nile is a mesmerizing murder story about charming, wealthy, and newly-wed socialite Linnet Doyle, whose marriage to her best friend Jackie's man stands steadfast to the belief that "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned".
During Linnet's honeymoon she is rattled to see that hot-blooded, death-threatening Jackie has most definitely been following Simon and her, and she fears Jackie will finally end this drama - by a gun. But when something finally does end Linnet's life, all fingers point towards Jackie - and she has the ultimate alibi to offset them all. As more chaos ensues, complete with confounding evidence and murder, first-class detective Hercule Poirot is at a dead end to who is the mastermind behind everything.
Death on the Nile is a shrewd masterpiece that will draw you right in. Twist endings, vivid characterization, and the burning suspense of whodunnit makes this is Christie at her best.
Her style here is just dazzling because of how she not only connects the clues but also the characters. What I mean is that unlike other classic mystery books, for example, Sherlock Holmes, Death on the Nile presents each sorrow, joy, and hidden motive of the characters in a way so that you'll get upset at them, pity them, love them, and understand why they did what they did. Here is one of my favorite passages, where Poirot speaks to Jackie for the first time:
Jacqueline De Bellefort: Simon was mine and he loved me, then *she* came along and... sometimes, I just want to put this gun right against her head, and ever so gently, pull the trigger. When I hear that sound more and more...

Hercule Poirot: I know how you feel. We all feel like that at times. However, I must warn you, mademoiselle: Do not allow evil into your heart, it will make a home there.
Jacqueline De Bellefort: If love can't live there, evil will do just as well.
Hercule Poirot: How sad, mademoiselle.
Christie's style also ensures that surprises await the reader, and you can almost never predict what one is and when it will come. For example, the death of one character is particularly shocking, and certain testimonies from the suspects will bring up many questions.
I would recommend this book to any reader who likes roller coaster plot lines, suspense, some melodrama, puzzles, the book The Westing Game, mystery or realistic fiction genres, and Egypt; as long as they aren't afraid of a little murder in between.

you have real talent @rocketfuel