Harry Potter vs. Twilight | Teen Ink

Harry Potter vs. Twilight

By JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

If there are two book series that are constantly compared, it’s Harry Potter and Twilight. Some Harry Potter fans also enjoyed the Twilight saga, while others constantly hated on it. Personally, I’m a fan of both. There are similarities, and many differences between the two. Let’s explore them.
Both series took the world by storm, and both had many fan clubs dedicated to them. They also both explored the paranormal, and supernatural. Vampires, werewolves, and shape shifters were present in both worlds. Both series had higher authority groups (The Ministry of Magic and the Volturi) creating similar rules, such as, “Don’t reveal yourselves to humans (or Muggles in Harry’s world).”
There are even similar prejudices among both worlds, in Twilight the Volturi didn’t respect human life. The Volturi were also prejudiced against the half-human half-vampire child. This is the same prejudice the “Pure Bloods” showed towards the “Mud Bloods,” or most of the “Ministry of Magic” believing that “Muggles” (humans) were beneath them.
Main differences exist in the plotting, character growth, and personality. Harry Potter had a more elaborate plot that became more complex throughout the series. As one problem was solved, another arose that was significant to the whole storyline. Inside the main plot were sub-plots that were relevant as well.
Twilight had a simpler plot that never really elaborated beyond Bella having to choose between Edward and Jacob, and avoiding the Volturi. Twilight is geared more towards pre-teens and teens, although adults might enjoy it as well. While Harry Potter doesn’t really have an age limit unless you’re younger than eight. (Breaking Dawn is probably more suited for mature teens).
Characters are very different. Harry Potter’s characters have obvious insecurities, flaws, strengths, and at some point or another, mojo. Throughout the series they would grow up a little, while recognizing each others strengths and weaknesses. In book one Hermione and Ron hated one another, but throughout the book and series they stood by one another and fought. When Ron ran out on Harry and Hermione in the seventh book, Harry comforts Hermione through their depression.
Twilight’s characters showed less growth. Bella however in the end was able to love two people at once. Her child, and her husband, even if her husband didn’t trust her choice. That was another reason I appreciated the final book. Bella finally got a backbone, and realized she wasn’t the only one who matters. I would’ve liked to see more flaws and insecurities between characters, because being human, and “not as pretty” doesn’t count.
Role models are very different. Twilight lacked good role models; for instance Bella demonstrated ungratefulness, and neediness. When Edward left Bella, Jacob saves her from a deep (unrealistic) depression. As soon as Edward comes back, and says “I only left you to protect you. I love you. [Smooch]” Bella seems to forget everything Jacob did for her, and says “Adios,” as she leaps into Edward’s arms. When it’s obvious she’s already chosen she still holds Jacob’s heart captive.
Harry Potter demonstrated better role models, even if they were never made out to be the good guy. For example Malfoy, in the end, learns that you can be more than anyone expected while choosing the correct path. Harry Potter demonstrated so many different things. Love and friendship saves you from nearly anything. It also teaches that in darkness you can always find a little bit of light and totally turn tables, it just takes hard work, and bravery.
Point is that, each series gets five stars for different reasons. If you wanted an entertaining, easy-to-read, soppy romance with a little blood and gore, definitely read the Twilight saga. If you want a more serious, darker, meaningful story read Harry Potter. What it really all boils down to is what mood you’re in. When you’ve chosen a series to read, sit down and enjoy!

I think these stories are both great. I just see a lot of comparing and contrasting and hating. This is just what I think.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. As you can tell from my screen name, I am a massive Harry Potter fan, however Twilight bored me. In all honesty, I would not re-read or re-watch the books. Bella is an awful role model. When Edward is around she is completely and utterly besotted with him, unable to focus on anything but him and his beauty. When around Jacob she is gradually falling in love with him. When Edward is not around - e.g. New Moon - Bella repeatedly risks her life to hear his voice in her own head, a very dangerous and stupid thing to do. Many Twihards would argue hat he is her ove so she had to try and do anything to just hear his voice, but I disagree. Hermione Granger - her lover, Ronald Weasley, left in Deathly Hallows. Did she risk her life? No, she stayed with her best friend and fought, This is why she is one of my top three role models. This is simply my opinion, so I would like you to refrain from hating.

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Welx! I sure think you did an amazing..That's a tough comparison , you nailed it though..

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thank you xD

- Maya Angelou

This was really good. I really liked the way how you say that everyone has different choices and if you don't like something doesn't mean it can't be liked by anyone else..and the comparison was pretty good! Good Job!

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thanks for reading!:D I'm pretty sure if it were real Edward and/or Jacob would've been "forget this!" a long time ago!

butterfly123 said...
butterfly123, Banglore, Other
i wholeheartedly agree with you! i too feel that at one point in the twilight saga (more specifically 'new moon'), bella desperately needed to get a life !! very well written! great work and keep writing ! XD