Divergent by Veronica Roth | Teen Ink

Divergent by Veronica Roth

By dukeybelle SILVER, Cottage Grove, Oregon
dukeybelle SILVER, Cottage Grove, Oregon

Imagination is more important than knowledge

The book Divergent, is one of the great young adult fiction novels that I have read. Veronica Roth does a great job at setting this book in post apocalyptic Chicago, where people have divided into five different ways of life, known as factions. There is Candor, who value honesty. Abnegation, who value selflessness. The Dauntless who value bravery. The Erudite who value knowledge, and Amity who value peace and kindness. Each one of the factions have a job, may it be protecting the city, research, or providing food. There are also the factionless. These are the people who live on the outskirts of the city, living in falling down buildings.
The main character Beatrice Prior, was born in abnegation, but being selfless, has always been hard for her. She has always felt lonely. Beatrice is 16, which means it is time for her to participate in the choosing ceremony, where people coming of age, are forced to choose a faction to live in. If they choose to go to a different faction, family contact is prohibited, its always been said, “faction before blood”.

Before Beatrice participates in the choosing ceremony, she takes a aptitude test. The test tells the students what faction they are best suited for. When Beatrice takes the test, her results are inconclusive. She then continues to learn that she is Divergent. Which means she doesn't fit in one lone faction, but multiple ones. She also continues to learn, that being divergent, is also dangerous.
At the ceremony, Beatrice says to herself “I am selfish. I am brave.” She then chooses to leave abnegation, and heads for dauntless. Within her time at the dauntless compound Beatrice transforms into someone she never knew existed. “Beatrice was a girl I saw in stolen moments at the mirror, who kept quiet at the dinner table. This is someone whose eyes claim mine and don’t release me; this is Tris.”

As the book progresses, things start to become dangerous. People start to get hurt, may it be physical harm, or mental. Tris learns of many secrets, some involve the people around her, but are also about the society she lives in. Some factions wish to gain control over the whole society. Tris and her friends fight this, but things turn drastically wrong.
Divergent is not only a action filled book. It has some mystery, a pinch of romance. This is a fast paced book, that anyone could read. This book is also for those who don’t like to read. With the twist and turns in this book, it will catch any reader’s attention.