The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand | Teen Ink

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand MAG

August 13, 2008
By Brittany Hsu SILVER, Jericho, New York
Brittany Hsu SILVER, Jericho, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Although at one time I worshiped this book (yes, it really was my bible), I still love it as the first literary work to open my eyes. I believe I changed after reading this book, but not wholeheartedly in my actions.

Ayn Rand paints an accurate portrait of the various types of people in this world. She skillfully maneuvers the villains and unleashes their feelings and thoughts. But most impressively, she creates a character so powerful in mindset and so swift in skill that he has become a universal wonder. Howard Roark is Rand's vision of a flawless human. He is persistent, confident, and ready to condemn evil despite dire personal consequences. The reader cannot help but ­follow his impeccable path to a life of satisfaction, integrity, and freedom.

Whether the reader yearns for an end to traditional architecture, like Roark, or just a path to independence, The Fountainhead is a must-read. Rand's philosophies are applicable to every person and every profession.

Recently, I have embraced the criticism that comes with this book. And yet we all need books like this to open young minds and philosophies to build our foundation upon. So for all of that, this book still remains one of my all-time favorites and is a must-read for all adolescents.