A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers | Teen Ink

A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers

July 28, 2013
By maryrose_roseytoes BRONZE, Powder Springs, Georgia
maryrose_roseytoes BRONZE, Powder Springs, Georgia
4 articles 1 photo 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Dance to express, not to impress.
-Anonymous

You look rediculous if you dance.
You look rediculous if you don't dance.
So you might as well dance.
-Gertrude Stein


In her book A Voice in the Wind, Francine Rivers weaves an inspirational story that readers find inspiring and applicable to their lives. This novel follows the life of Hadassah, a Christian slave girl living in the year 117 A.D. Taken captive in the destruction of Jerusalem, Hadassah is transported to Rome, where Decimus and Phoebe Valerian eventually buy her to work for their selfish daughter, Julia. Hadassah falls in love with Marcus, Julia’s handsome, rebellious brother, despite the fact that he rejects Christ. Meanwhile, a Roman legion captures Atretes, a young chief from Germany, and sends him to Rome as a gladiator; he quickly rises to fame, killing over one hundred men in the arena. Atretes meets Julia Valerian, and they fall in love; he plans to marry her when he earns his freedom. He quickly abandons her, however, when she is unfaithful to him.

Christianity was despised by Rome during that time, so Hadassah tells no one of her true religion because she fears persecution. Marcus, realizing he loves Hadassah, despises her supposed Jewish god because His law demands purity. Despite the fact that Marcus mocks her religion and attempts to destroy her standards, Hadassah continues to pray for a change in him and patiently explains to him about God. As the story continues, the Valerian family, except Julia, discovers Hadassah’s faith, and Decimus and Phoebe eventually accept Christ. Marcus asks Hadassah to marry him, but she declines, listening to God’s command not to be unequally yoked. Furious that Hadassah would dare refuse her brother, Julia, prompted by her friends, discovers Hadassah’s true religion and sends her to the arena to be killed by lions. In the end, Hadassah gains freedom through death by overcoming her lifelong fear of persecution; she stands firm in the face of torture, changing Marcus’ heart and making him realize he will always love her.

Rivers writes A Voice in the Wind as a thrilling and inspiring story, comparing the trials of ancient Rome with current times. Although the plot takes place in the last days of the Roman Empire, readers see that the struggles which humanity faces have not changed over the years. Readers see similarities between Rome and the current state of humanity in Rivers’ description of the empire. She emphasizes sinful attributes such as greed and lust that manifest in today’s society. Upon first entering the city, Atretes makes the observation that, “Rome, reputedly pure and majestic, was a stinking bog of base humanity drowning in filth and depravity” (182). People often emphasize the glory and splendors of the empire but ignore the underlying problems that eventually led to its ruin. Characters deal with abortion and homosexuality, showing that such practices were just as prevalent in the Roman Empire as they are today. Reading Hadassah’s story, one realizes that Christians in the Roman era, like those now, dealt with fear and doubt. Describing Hadassah’s battle with her fear, Rivers encourages modern-day Christians: she shows that faith in Christ can ease trepidation.

Readers see general themes of man vs. God, man vs. himself, and man vs. man in A Voice in the Wind; Rivers also includes the specific theme of “Whom do you serve?” Hadassah has a faith in Christ, but sometimes struggles in following and trusting Him; Marcus claims not to believe in anything, repeatedly denying and cursing God. Readers see Hadassah fight against herself throughout the book: she struggles against the inclination to forsake God’s law of purity and give herself up to Marcus. Man vs. man also appears throughout the book, with the battles in Jerusalem and in the arena. Rivers incorporates the specific theme “Whom do you serve?” throughout the book, causing readers to question what they prioritize. Trying to explain to Marcus why she continues to follow God, Hadassah asks, “‘Are we not…servants to whatever we worship?’” (125). Marcus’ response consists of the idea that, “‘…I serve myself. I fulfill my own needs…without the help of any deity’” (125). Hadassah strives to serve the Lord, while Marcus, reflecting many unsaved people, cares about fulfilling his own desires.

Informative and entertaining writing makes up A Voice in the Wind. Dialogue, description, and background information create a writing style that amuses and thrills while also educating the reader. Rivers uses much dialogue in A Voice in the Wind, producing conversations that allow readers to know characters on a deeper level. Reading dialogue between Hadassah and Marcus, one learns more about Hadassah’s fears of persecution and how Marcus truly cares for Hadassah despite his occasional harshness. Readers also observe Julia’s slow downfall into complete immorality through reading her conversations with her peers. Irony is also used in the book when Marcus, who once scorned a friend for marrying a slave, wants to free Hadassah and marry her. More heart-wrenching irony comes into play when lions strike down Hadassah upon sand that Marcus had sold to the arena: he unknowingly contributed to her persecution. Throughout the book, Rivers gives information into the history of events and places, convincing the reader of the reality of happenings in the book.

As a novel with thrilling adventure, romance, and history, A Voice in the Wind appeals to young-adult Christian girls with an interest in the ancient Roman Empire. Some readers may feel discomfited by the grim battles and descriptions of persecution. However, for those who love thrilling adventures, A Voice in the Wind delivers. Hadassah and Marcus’ romance appeals to women, and the well-researched information about the Empire educates those interested in Roman history. Also, Hadassah’s struggles and triumphs in her faith and the godly morals throughout make the novel appealing and encouraging for Christians.

Godly morals and values of serving and self-sacrifice are displayed in A Voice in the Wind. Selfish, unkind characters are often depicted as hypocrites who live miserably. Hadassah models important Christian values, and God rewards her for her efforts at kindness, servitude, and purity by giving her peace. Marcus and Julia’s selfish characters and low morals only lead them to trouble and empty pleasures. When Julia meets the influencing woman, Calabah, who eventually corrupts her to the point of convincing her to kill Hadassah, Julia swallows “every idea Calabah spewed forth” (238). Julia’s want for freedom and power causes her to fall for lies and flattery, eventually ruining her. Rivers demonstrates through her writing the consequences of greed and pride.

Throughout the novel, Rivers shows her caring attitude for those who suffer for what they believe in; she ridicules those who take pleasure in causing other people pain. Her attitude towards those who have lost their freedom causes readers to sympathize with the victims. Also Rivers’ approach toward characters who take pleasure in others’ pain makes readers angry toward such characters as well. For instance, Rivers depicts the bloodlust of the Roman mob through the words of a dying gladiator, “‘Listen to them screaming for my blood! They were in love with me an hour ago’” (246). Rivers’ attitude towards characters like Calabah fills readers with disgust toward their immorality. Readers may also experience mixed emotions for characters like Marcus: the times when he mocks Hadassah, readers dislike him; other times, when he shows how much he truly cares for her, readers love his character.

In the story, Rivers develops Hadassah as its protagonist with Rome itself as the antagonist; she includes round and existential characters throughout the novel. Rivers develops Hadassah as the likable heroine with a sweet and courageous spirit. Readers find Hadassah’s experiences applicable to their own lives; Rivers cultivates her so readers easily sympathize with her. Rome is portrayed as the antagonist; the greed and immorality of the Empire battles against Hadassah through characters such as Calabah. Through lies and flattery, Calabah turns Julia against Hadassah, resulting in Hadassah’s banishment to the arena. By using Rome and human nature as an antagonist, Rivers suggests that Christians today (like those in ancient Rome) battle against a sinful world. As a round character, Marcus Valerian’s personality is contradictory and frustrating, mirroring his internal struggle. Decimus and Phoebe Valerian represent existential characters: their hearts change through Hadassah’s witness.

Although mainly written as a historical fiction novel, A Voice in the Wind also includes romance and adventure. Educating information is blended with the romances between Marcus and Hadassah and Julia and Atretes. Thrilling battles and the fast-paced plot also gives the book a sense of adventure. Following “the journey” plot motif, Rivers develops Hadassah’s trials and victories in third-person omniscient. This point of view makes the book all the more enjoyable and allows readers to understand and empathize with characters.

Effective contrasting makes A Voice in the Wind all the more enjoyable. Rivers uses the splendor of Rome to contrast Hadassah’s humble demeanor, describing the glory and magnificence of pagan temples in the same sentence as the lowliness and dirtiness of the streets and common people. Through the godly elements in the book, Rivers encourages Christians. A Voice in the Wind’s description of Hadassah’s spiritual journey shows that although early Christians lived in a different era, they struggled with doubts and fears similarly to present-day Christians. Although modern believers may feel as if their fears of persecution are unconquerable, the story of Hadassah shows that Jesus Christ can erase all feelings of fear. Because Jesus paid the price for sin by dying on the cross, followers have no need to fear persecution because the war is already won. Combining brilliant writing, lovable characters, and an inspiring plot, Rivers crafts A Voice in the Wind as an unforgettable book.


The author's comments:
The first in the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers, A Voice in the Wind is one of my fovorite books. As a Christian, I was both challenged and encouraged by this book, and I have recommended it to many of my friends.