The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

January 11, 2014
By Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary


There are books in life that grasp your heart and warm your soul. There are books with words that melt on your tongue and linger in your mind. There are books with such raw emotion, you can feel it seeping out of the pages. There are books with characters so alive they practically leap out of the chapter.

And then there’s “The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green.

The moment I opened the cover, Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters did not leap out of the pages; they raised their hands and earnestly beckoned me forward. They invited me into their lives, so, naturally, I invited them into my heart. Under normal circumstances, I would classify these characters as “lovable.” However, puppies are lovable. Babies are lovable.

The word just does not do Hazel or Augustus justice.

They are human, which is possibly the biggest compliment I could give. For me to consider a character as human, they have to be more than words on a page. Not adjectives and verbs and dialogue, but skin and bones and hair. When I picture Hazel and Augustus in my mind, they do not appear as a combination of the twenty-six letters in the English language; they encompass my mind as incredible, powerful individuals. They make mistakes and they are by no means perfect. They are, amazingly, human.

But to concoct the perfect cake of a novel, characters are just the flour. Maybe the eggs, too.

And then comes the sugar: the story.

The phrase “Cancer Story” is almost synonymous with sadness. At best, these stories can be inspirational, but with hardships and obstacles dominating the novel. The term “cancer” does not just describe these books; it overtakes them completely.

The Fault in Our Stars is the perfect “Non-Cancer Cancer Story.” Confusing, yes? Have no fear! In fact, never have fear when you’re reading this Non-Cancer Cancer Story, because the cancer involved here is really just a detail, just a “side effect,” in an incredible work of art. John Green twists this Non-Cancer Cancer Story into a comedic romance that is impossible not to love.

Powerful. Hilarious. Strong. Heart-warming. Only a few words out of many that I would use to describe John Green’s wonderful creation.

There are books that nudge themselves into your heart and curl up there for your remainder of your days.

There are books that change your life.

“The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green is not one of those books.

It is so, so much more.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 18 comments.


Lanimal SILVER said...
on Aug. 29 2015 at 12:37 am
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary

Thank you so much! I have such respect for John Green (and Hank!), as his Crash Course videos helped me pass AP World History. ;) DFTBA!

Lanimal SILVER said...
on Aug. 29 2015 at 12:35 am
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary

Thank you so much! I've also read Paper Towns, Looking for Alaska, and Will Grayson Will Grayson. Personally, I completely agree with you! Though I love TFIOS, Hazel and Gus just aren't nearly as relatable as his other characters. I think Paper Towns is my favorite. TFIOS and Looking for Alaska are tied for second. :) I might make reviews about them!

on Aug. 9 2015 at 5:57 pm
justmyexistentialthoughts GOLD, Cumberland, Rhode Island
10 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can't make great stuff until you've made good stuff, you can't make good stuff until you make alright stuff, and you can't make alright stuff until you've made pretty bad stuff." - P.J. Liguori

I also immensely respect you for the way you dealt with the haters in your comments, and I for one often say that I want to grow up to be John Green; I think he is a lovely, inspiring person who, like all humans, contains multitudes, and it's lovely to find someone who feels the same way. By all means, keep writing and DFTBA! @Lanimal

on Aug. 9 2015 at 5:53 pm
justmyexistentialthoughts GOLD, Cumberland, Rhode Island
10 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can't make great stuff until you've made good stuff, you can't make good stuff until you make alright stuff, and you can't make alright stuff until you've made pretty bad stuff." - P.J. Liguori

This is a great, great, GREAT review, possibly the best thing I've ever read on Teen Ink. Well done! However, I'm dying to know, have you read any of John's other books? Because although TFIOS is brilliant, I think it's far from his best work, so if you have such high praise for this novel I would love to hear what you've got to say about his others! Once again, well done! @Lanimal

on Nov. 4 2014 at 6:58 pm
JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas
7 articles 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

The mention of my tumblr URL was for the purposes of continuing the conversation with you, or anybody else who is interested in discussing, through a medium that is more condusive to it, as was clearly stated in the post.

Lanimal SILVER said...
on Nov. 4 2014 at 12:34 am
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary

Thank you for your perspective! You seem to have a lot to say on the subject; I encourage you to write a review yourself! I certainly think others share your opinion. Though I love hearing from my readers, please refrain from using my articles as an advertising medium for you tumblr URL - I just don't want other people to do that as well. :)

on Aug. 18 2014 at 1:47 am
JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas
7 articles 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

(Very sorry if this posts twice, TeenInk is being finicky)

I've read one other of John Green's books (Looking for Alaska, sadly being made into a movie that will perhaps be even more cringeworthy than TFIOS) and after having experienced that and seen the way he interacts with fans first hand, I don't really have an interest of seeing more of him that I absolutely have to via tumblr. I understand why his books are popular, to an extent, it caters to a very specific type of teenager (see: Why We Should Let John Green Raise Our Kids on my page here) but personally, I have no interest in seeing John Green write the same White People Who Love Each Other But Uh Oh Complications story that has been written to death with much the same oh-so-marketable dialogue.

My tumblr URL is the same as my username here, no caps no spaces, and if you're interested in continuing the conversation there or reading my john-green-hate tag, I encourage you to do so. This isn't exactly the space for constructive review, at least from my perspective.

Have a nice day.

Lanimal SILVER said...
on Mar. 6 2014 at 10:40 pm
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary

That's an interesting opinion, and one I've never heard! But I respect it; it's always good to hear everyone's opinion!
I will say this: I, simply, disagree. I do actually agree to some of your comments (in a less hateful way, of course), but for me, and for millions of others, this book offered a refreshing escape from the horror of humanity; I am disgusted with the current selfishness of the human race, and unrealistic characters and flowery pros raised my hopes that maybe people could act more like these characters: selfless.
If you don't like John Green's writing, I encourage you to check out his Youtube videos (The Vlogbrothers, CrashCourse). I think you'll find that although his writing not be to your taste, he is a talented and diverse individual that I believe deserves the utmost respect. :)

on Mar. 6 2014 at 12:51 am
JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas
7 articles 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

I hated this book. Hated it. After reading it and puttering around the web, I was extremely surprised to find that many people considered it "heart-breaking", "life-changing", or "fantastic" because for me, it was none of those things. I don't really have to time or patience to write a full critique of this book (and frankly I don't think it deserves it) because all of it's issues can be summed up in three sentences:

1. John Green cannot write stories or plots that aren't choppy, predictable, and haphazard. 2. John Green in incapable of writing characters that aren't so pretentious that you gag everytime they open their mouths. 3. John Green is incapable of writing prose that isn't flowery, over the top, and ridiculous.

Hanban12 ELITE said...
on Jan. 15 2014 at 5:34 pm
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida
133 articles 7 photos 631 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

No problem! You really should write more reviews; you're amazing at them! :)

Lanimal SILVER said...
on Jan. 14 2014 at 8:12 pm
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary

It's definitely my favorite book as well, clearly :) John Green is my favorite because his writing is always so relatable! Anyways, thank you so much for your kind words!! :) 

Hanban12 ELITE said...
on Jan. 14 2014 at 8:10 pm
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida
133 articles 7 photos 631 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

The Fault in Our Stars is absolutely my favorite book, and John Green is simply a unique writer with immense voice. Your review showcased exactly that, thank you for writing it. I hope others can enjoy this book as much as I have, and as much as you :)

Lanimal SILVER said...
on Jan. 14 2014 at 8:03 pm
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary

Thank you so much! :)

marei2331 said...
on Jan. 14 2014 at 7:48 pm
marei2331, Lubbock, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 71 comments

Favorite Quote:
For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others, for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness, and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

This is one of my favorite books, and I have to say that you did it justice in this review!! well done :)  

Lanimal SILVER said...
on Jan. 14 2014 at 3:53 pm
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary

Sweet, you have good taste!

on Jan. 14 2014 at 5:15 am
AmarUlHaque BRONZE, Karachi, Other
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

Its my fav too :)

Lanimal SILVER said...
on Jan. 13 2014 at 9:32 pm
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary

Thank you! :)

on Jan. 13 2014 at 8:45 pm
CantDeleteThis, New York, New York
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments
You said it all.