The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky | Teen Ink

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky MAG

By AntoinetteBrandt GOLD, Interlachen, Florida
AntoinetteBrandt GOLD, Interlachen, Florida

In order to gain all, you must risk all.

The Perks of Being Wallflower is an epic novel for any generation. After reading it three times, I am still deeply moved. This is a great coming-of-age story, perhaps as memorable as The Catcher in the Rye.

Charlie reaches out through letters that take you into his life. You find yourself recognizing what he is going through, and it opens your eyes and makes you realize you are not alone, no matter what.

In this novel, you will fall in love with the characters as they remind you of your friends. I think everyone should read this book because, like Charlie, we are all on a quest to find ourselves.

This brilliant first novel captures the reader’s mind. From when Charlie first realizes he is in love, to the times that he is infinite, and the moments he is in tears, Chbosky never fails to promise the reader something good. Something beautiful. Something infinite.

novelistspast. BRONZE, Brook Park, Ohio

I try to leave out the parts that people skip. ~Elmore Leonard

this is my favorite book.

so honest and beautiful. :)

I think the author really wrote from the heart which made it even more interesting to read.

ticktickboom said...
Beautiful book. I was skeptical at first. Nothing could rival the blunt charm of holden caulfield right? In this book, Chbosky artfully recreates the fear of growing up, nostalgia for the past, and the difficulty, yet neccesity, of assuming the responsabilities that come with age. Yeah, so he is no Holden, but he is pretty darn close

thecrazyone said...
thecrazyone, Calgary, Other

"Everything that comes together, falls apart. The suffering was caused by desire, we'd learned, and that the cessation of desire meant the cessation of suffering. When you stopped wishing, things wouldn't fall apart, you'd stop suffering when they did." - Looking for Alaska

I super love this book!!! 

freetobe8080 SILVER, Powhatan, Virginia

"Live like you're at the bottom, even if you're at the top." - Kevin Jonas Sr.

I absolutely LOVE this book. I found it one day while waiting for my parents to pick me up from the library, and I fell in love with it.

izzyrox1010 BRONZE, Weston, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about."

this is my favorite book in the entire world. period.

MiiSs_AlySsA SILVER, Fall River, Massachusetts

"Your Hold On Me Is Pemeant And Unbreakable. Don't Forget That..."

"Oh yea, Burgers for the boys.." - Haha!! A friend

I just LOVE this book !! An amazing novel :)

SickImage SILVER, Klamath Falls, Oregon

The room was very quiet. I walked over to the TV set and turned it onto a dead channel-white noise at maximum decibels, a fine sound for sleeping, a powerful continuous hiss to drown out everything strange."

My favorite book. I read it constantly and never get sick of it. So Wonderful!!

Spazzmine BRONZE, Foley, Alabama

"Some of the greater things in life are unseen thats why you close your eyes when you kiss, cry, or dream... "Anonymous.

I read that book.It was amazing<3

vikesfan28 GOLD, Genoa, Nevada

I'm still a geek on the inside, that's the important thing.

-Wierd Al Yankovic

ver good book. I wasn't totally satisfied with your article though, because it never goes into depth about the story.  Try making it longer! :)

eternalsunset BRONZE, Buffalo Grove, Illinois

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." --Perks of Being a Wallflower

Perks is my ALL TIME favorite book. there's nothing as honestly beautiful out there. I wish Chbosky would write more.

M.W.M. BRONZE said...
M.W.M. BRONZE, Undisclosed, New Jersey

"Test everything. Hold on to the good." -Paul of Tarsus (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

i LOVE this book. books like these are the only books i like reading more than once for fun. they're also the only books that I can be reading and reading, and forget about the fact that I'm reading a book, because I'm just so submerged into the story.

It reminded me very much of my all time favorite The Catcher in the Rye.

trblue GOLD said...
trblue GOLD, Richmond, Virginia

"Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother@#?!&* upside the head. "

this book was on my BN list then i took it off. this entry has moved me so mucyh that ist's back on my list. if this is not a graet book i'm coming back and putting u all on blast.

chartothalatte GOLD, Cleveland Heights, Ohio
i love book! i was given it as a gift for a coming of age thingy. great book.

Olivea said...
Olivea, Tottenham, Other

The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind.
--
Francois de la Roche Foucauld

I was very excited to read this book, but found it rather dissapointing. It was difficult to follow and the ending seemed to be disconnected from the rest of the novel.

skywtchng said...
didnt this book come out like five years ago or somethin...a little bit of a delay in the review but yeah still...best book ive read in a long long time

lechatnoir said...
lechatnoir, San Francisco, California

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
-James Dean

I always wanted to read this book, now I want to read it even more. Great review!

ChevelleNichole<3 BRONZE, Crestline, Ohio

"whoever said sunshine brings happiness has obviously never danced in the rain."

great review. this book is seriously one of the most amazing books i have ever read, and i read A LOT. hah. i would reccomend this book to anyone and everyone. if you havent read it, go right now and read it. seriously. now. :D

rayj095 GOLD said...
rayj095 GOLD, Gadsden, Alabama

"And if we're lucky, we realize, in the face of everything, in the face of life, the true dream is being able
to dream at all." -Grey's Anatomy

Very,very good book. It explains what really happens in highschool.

literaryaddict PLATINUM, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"We're almost there and no where near it. All that matters is that we're going." Lorelai Gilmore, Gilmore Girls
"The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound." Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde

really good review, but i didn't like the book as much as you i think. yes it offers some great insight into high school life, but not my kind of book at all. but i liked this review and the insight it gave (and i think i overused the word insight, but oh well)

Dandelion PLATINUM, Franklin, Massachusetts
A wonderful review for a wonderful book! I must admit, though, that I was a bit too young when I read it.