Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell | Teen Ink

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

By EllisShapiroBarnum GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
EllisShapiroBarnum GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Real eyes realize real lies"

First loves do not last always forever, but isn't it worth a try? Set in 1986, over the course of a single school year, Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor and Park, (the NPR best teen book of 2013, and a New York Times best seller) is a story of two teenagers who are not the average couple. Eleanor and Park are outcasts, and don't really fit in at school, or at home. Being a realistic-fiction novel, aspects of the book can relate to teenagers in many ways. This incredible love story, told from the points of view of both characters, is engaging, heart warming, and a great read.     

At the beginning, Eleanor and Park are two awkward students who barely know how to talk to each other. When Eleanor walks onto the bus on the first day of school, wearing a men's plaid shirt and covered in necklaces and scarves, Park instantly gets a weird impression of her. But, he feels bad for Eleanor and lets her sit down in his seat, leading them into an awkward journey. They soon break that barrier, and defying all odds, including Eleanor being thrown into a new life with a horrible stepfather, and Park, having unaccepting and strict parents, the passionate two persist to make their undeniable love for each other thrive.
      Eleanor, a shy and conflicted girl, deals with many problems. She has moved from where she grew up her whole life, to a new home, leaving all of her friends behind. On top of that, she is being thrown into a new school, where she is alienated because of her differences. And if that couldn't be worse, her mother meets Eleanor's new "step-dad," Richie, who abuses, yells, and curses at her constantly. All of these factors cause Eleanor to get angry easily, especially at Park, so they have some rough patches in their relationship. The descriptive, thought evoking writing in the novel allows you to delve deeper into what Eleanor goes through, and how she feels.
      Rainbow Rowell cleverly splits the story up into sections told from the point of view of both Eleanor and Park. This allows an understanding of how both characters think and feel, and makes you feel for them in a very unique way. It makes the story really interesting to read. Rowell paints a picture of love, anger, and hardship throughout the book, and uses very descriptive language to do so. "Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.” Park says, showing his love and admiration for her.
      One of the very few downsides to this book, in my opinion, is that the ending is frustrating. You can interpret the ending in any way you like; it left me with unanswered questions that I felt angry about knowing. The cliff hanger ending does, however, add to some of the story's abrupt and mysterious tones, and enhances the book.
      Overall, Eleanor and Park is a great book, and all 325 pages are worth reading. If you want to cry, be angry, and feel for characters in a way you can from no other book, pick up the wonderful novel, and be drawn into a spiraling love story filled with romance and dra