Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury | Teen Ink

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

December 2, 2015
By yasmeenishere SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
yasmeenishere SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Fahrenheit 451 is one of the most confusing and boring books I've ever read. The idea behind it drew me in. I really wanted to love this book but the storyline and writing style kept me from doing so.

The novel follows the life of Guy Montag who lives in a futuristic society in which books have been made illegal by the government. Montag's job as a fireman is to burn books in order to keep order in society. Along the way, Montag becomes curious and reads a book which leads to, surprise surprise, his rebellion against the government.

My main issue with the novel, along with the dull storyline, is Bradbury's use of ineffective and unnecessary metaphors and smilies. He spends pages upon pages using imagery to describe the most insignificant portions of the novel. I couldn't help but feel as if Bradbury was flaunting his knowledge which was plain annoying. Although I did love Bradbury's exploration of technology's control on our thoughts and actions, the rest of the novel's flaws overshadowed it. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who knows what a good book is.