Romeo and Juliet | Teen Ink

Romeo and Juliet

February 9, 2009
By ~~Persephone-of-the-River-Styx~~ BRONZE, Little Deer Isle, Maine
~~Persephone-of-the-River-Styx~~ BRONZE, Little Deer Isle, Maine
1 article 1 photo 2 comments

Romeo and Juliet, the icon of lovers for centuries. But why? Yes, this story of forbidden love is tragic, heart breaking really. It just makes so little sense to me that the love between two very young teens should be the greatest love of all time.

I suppose I will have to tell this from a personal perspective, as I am in fact the very same age as was young Juliet. Would I, after speaking only polite poetic verses, marry someone? Not only that, but having known said man but a day? I would not. And yes, I will allow that the times have changed, but even in Juliet's era I would not marry for love that soon.
Romeo can surely ejaculate pretty words and phrases, he can promise his love as well, but is love really so simple, so superficial? Though I doubt that Juliet's devotion was based entirely on appearance, I can't help but think of the mating rituals of animals. Of peacocks, to be more specific. If indeed we use this theory, Juliet could just as likely have chosen Paris. It certainly would have been a simpler action. But I digress.
Probably my most valid point is time. Romeo and Juliet's love never went through the test of time. I have no doubt that they were in love, but do not teens fall in and out of love daily? It would be entirely possible, 'and likely, in my opinion' that the pair could grow apart over the years. It happens to most everyone at some time or another.
So, when I speak of love, I will not think of Romeo and Juliet, I will think of other books, other couples. I'll think of the people who were together more than a week.


The author's comments:
I wrote this review of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet for all of the people who ever interpreted a book's meaning and were told that they were wrong. There is no wrong answer in a heartfelt opinion.