Shifting by Bethany Wiggins | Teen Ink

Shifting by Bethany Wiggins

By Serendaphne BRONZE, Beijing, Other
Serendaphne BRONZE, Beijing, Other

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." -JK Rowling

After reading - and absolutely loving - Bethany Wiggins's book, Stung, I looked forward to reading her other work. Shifting had a great, compelling premise: based on Navajo legends, a girl with shape-shifting powers was trying to escape evil forces that were hunting her down. This description, with the added promise of romance, had me desperate to get my hands on a copy. 

I'm disappointed to say this is where it all went downhill. It was a slow-paced and dull read, one of those disasters where the entire plot is explained in the last couple pages of the book. Whereas Stung was creative, refreshing, and gripping, here was a novel that was lackluster in comparison, with its dragged-out plot and transparent foreshadowing attempts. The story did not keep me hooked very successfully, and towards the middle of the book, I was tempted to give up because there was near zero plot development. 

Although the characters were all alluring, well-developed, and likable, there was not enough plot and suspense in the story to support them. I particularly liked Bridger as a character, but the relationship between him and the heroine was mediocre at best. The way Maggie Mae tries time and time to resist him and fails becomes quite repetitive and eventually tedious.

Shifting could've been a great story, but because of the slow progression and lack of suspense, it was a three-star book at best.