ARC Review: Teach the Torches to Burn: A Romeo & Juliet Remix by Caleb Roehrig | Teen Ink

ARC Review: Teach the Torches to Burn: A Romeo & Juliet Remix by Caleb Roehrig

By spittinwatches GOLD, Union, New Jersey
spittinwatches GOLD, Union, New Jersey

And I could imagine it—years, decades, maybe centuries down the line when my name is no more than an unmemorable myth and he has turned to bedrock, with nobody to worship him in the way I will.

Teaches the Torches to Burn retells the story of Romeo and Juliet: Romeo is a boy in love with another boy, and Juliet wants to be defined by something more than the men in her life. As far as retellings go, this was a pretty solid read, despite me never having read the original play before. I was compelled with the storytelling nonetheless.

Roehrig’s style is lyrical (and oftentimes taught me words I didn’t even know existed), but enthralling. He’s able to set a beautiful scene in Verona, and evoke powerful emotions of joy, love, hope, and loss through Romeo. He writes a story about kids who just want to know they’re meant for happiness, and if they can build themselves a life that can allow them happiness. I have never read the original Romeo and Juliet, and I had a feeling that this particular retelling was not about to go down the same tragic route, but it is a little cathartic in a way that Romeo, Valentine, and Juliet all get what they want in the end.

What I enjoyed immensely, however intentional or not, is the asexual/aromantic representation seen through Friar Laurence and Juliet. It surprised me that we got not one, but TWO ace characters, and seeing as this is a YA novel, it’s wonderful that younger audiences will be able to read this.

Perhaps one of the few qualms I had is that we don’t get more perspectives out of the story. The entire plot is told through Romeo’s eyes, but it would have brought a lot more depth to their characters if we heard from Valentine or Juliet. 

Either way, I had a fun time reading this and would rate it 3½ stars.