DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story | Teen Ink

DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story

August 16, 2018
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

 DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story is a movie about a group of guys who join a dodgeball tournament in an attempt to save their gym. Peter La Fleur owns a gym called Average Joe's, but when a new nearby gym, Globo-Gym, opens, Average Joe's is on the verge of going out of business. Peter needs to raise $50,000 in order to keep the place, but raising that high amount of money in thirty days is no easy task, especially because the health maniac that runs Globo-Gym, White Goodman, wants to ensure that Average Joe's goes out of business. White will stop at nothing to stop Peter from keeping his gym. 
 In order to raise the money needed to save his gym, Peter works together with his loyal customers to come up with a plan to get the money. They decide to run a car wash to get the money, but that ends up not going as planned. It looks like they've reached the end of the road, but the group then sees that a dodgeball tournament in Las Vegas has a cash prize for first place of $50,000, the exact amount they need. However, only one member of the group knows how to play the game, so he goes to his high school and gets a video that explains the rules of the game. 
 The team of misfits then go to play their first game, and the winner gets to enter the tournament. Although they don't win traditionally, the team gets to enter the tournament and have a chance at winning the prize money. After celebrating, an old dodgeball legend notifies Peter that their dodgeball skills were some of the worst that he's ever seen, and that he wants to help them become real dodgeball players. Because he assumes it can't hurt, Peter gets him to teach him and his team, in order to help their chances of winning the money and saving his gym. The coach has untraditional methods, like throwing wrenches, but he does his best to help the team. 
 The team soon gains a new member to the team, who might end up being the best player, because of a mutual hatred of White Goodman. Together, the group tries to unify as one team and defeat the odds by winning all of their games, which proves to be extremely difficult. Average Joe's, the name of the team, must face a German team, ugly uniforms, lumberjacks, the odds, and White Goodman, all in an attempt to save their gym. 
 The movie is exciting, entertaining, and enjoyable. The movie surprisingly has a lot of comical moments that make the tone of the movie light throughout. The ending of the movie is good, albeit nothing too special or amazing. Overall, this movie isn't going to win any awards, but it is a fun movie about grown adults playing dodgeball for money, and it is absolutely worth watching. 


The author's comments:

DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story is a fun film that is worth watching.