Film Thoughts #91 A Star is Born | Teen Ink

Film Thoughts #91 A Star is Born MAG

October 24, 2018
By Davismoviereviews BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Davismoviereviews BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“I’m off the deep end, watch as I dive in. I’ll never meet the ground.”

We are all talented in some way – fame is just the measure of how well we are able to express ourselves. Out of the many things “A Star is Born” has to say, this is its most profound message. The film also delves deeply into issues like addiction, celebrity image and the impact death has on loved ones in a genuine and horrifyingly realistic way. But its investigation into what it means to be famous in our society is something I found to be personally inspiring, as it is applicable to how I want my life to play out.

Ever since I saw “Blue Valentine” back in July, I’ve been craving a film that’s directed in such an elegant and heartbreaking way. Finally, I got it in the form of Bradley Cooper’s debut effort. Right here I could drop you the line, “I can’t believe this was director X’s first film, one of the best debuts in recent memory.” But there have been so many incredible debuts lately that I am no longer surprised by magnificent rookie direction. The way in which Cooper shoots the character of Jackson Maine (played by himself) versus the way he shoots Ally played by Lady Gaga), indicates that Cooper knows exactly what he’s doing – and more importantly, why he’s doing it. The shots of Maine utilize subtle shakes and zooms to demonstrate his slowly decreasing mental state and spiral into addiction. He then shoots Ally almost exclusively with still shots to contrast her controlled character with that of Maine’s. This is merely one example of the brilliance Cooper exudes behind the camera. Cooper goes above and beyond to utilize the camera to tell a story of its own, truly exceptional work.

Complementing the award-
worthy direction is the
astonishing cinematography. Matthew Libatique really puts on a show here with a variety of neons and colorful sets to paint visually imaginative pictures. His visuals especially exceed during the performance scenes, which are some of the best I have ever seen in terms of both music and overall experience. “The Shallow” scene, in particular, gave me the chills, as it was so beautifully done.

The acting is incredible from the two leads, to the supporting actors (including Sam Elliot as Bobby and Dave Chappelle as Noodles). I never thought I would be saying this, but Lady Gaga deserves to be nominated for her role in the film. Her acting is surprisingly strong, but it’s in the music scenes where she shines. Bradley Cooper similarly gives what is possibly his best performance ever as a declining country singer. The vulnerability he shows while alone with Ally juxtaposes well with the swaggering bravado he carries on stage. His character’s arc is similarly heartbreaking, as it shows the decline of a man’s career, but more importantly, the decreasing quality of a man’s life.

As for flaws, they are few and far between. The pacing can be a little iffy at times, as the first half is very strong, but portions of the second and even third acts, drag considerably. The story can also feel unfocused at certain points, with certain characters being introduced as plot devices rather than as people. But these flaws are easily surmounted by the rest of the film, which is an incredible piece of art.

“A Star is Born” combines fantastic visuals with intelligent direction to create one of the most beautiful films of 2018. Its acting and screenplay are both very well detailed, and the exploration of its themes are relevant to the current music industry. Easily one of the best films of 2018. I cannot wait to rewatch it!


The author's comments:

I am a teen film critic and aspiring filmmaker who hopes to get some reviews published by others. Hope you enjoy the read!