To All the Boys I've Loved Before | Teen Ink

To All the Boys I've Loved Before

By lyslovesbooks BRONZE, Chino, California
lyslovesbooks BRONZE, Chino, California

It is not news that Netflix has changed how we view movies and TV shows on a day to day basis. The recent releases of several Netflix original movies and shows, specifically To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, have shown that the accessibility of the platform is a hit amongst audiences. Since its release on August 17, 2018, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before has been well received by the general public, especially teenagers.  

Based on the 2014 young adult novel by Jenny Han, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before tells the story of Lara Jean Song Covey and her five unrequited crushes she had written secret love letters to. After the letters get mysteriously sent out, Lara Jean finds herself coming out of her shell all while experiencing her own long desired romantic comedy. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before tackles relevant topics such as personal growth, family, and first love. The characters in the film are relatable as well as lovable, along with being a breath of fresh air when compared to other coming of age romantic comedies. Lara Jean and her sisters being Asian American provides representation that has been a long overdue need in film. With a diverse cast and intriguing storyline, To All the Boys stands out from the others and proves that it is well deserving of being one of Netflix's most rewatched films.  

Lara Jean (Lana Condor) and her “fake” boyfriend Peter Kavinsky (Noah Centineo) have become fast fan favorites. The actors both individually gained millions of followers on social media following the movies success. Unknown to some viewers of the movie, the novel To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the first in a book series. It is followed by PS I Still Love You (2015) and Always and Forever, Lara Jean (2017). As a result of the love the movie received, a sequel was announced in December 2018 with release scheduled in 2020 according to IMDb. Lara Jean’s story is not over yet, so make sure you stream To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before only on Netflix before the sequel comes out.   

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han is one of my favorite books of all time and the book as well as the movie hold a very special place in my heart.